No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Goats head goblet pressed turquoise blue marbled opaline glass  (Read 4171 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Goats head goblet pressed turquoise blue marbled opaline glass
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 01:39:18 PM »
Well I learned something....“bock” is actually the German word for “billy goat” so it makes sense. Ken.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 02:50:21 PM »
BINGO!! thank you Ivo and Ken for your leads to the Pressglas Korrespondenz.
I searched most of them then changed a search to one in German and look....
I'd seen another goblet different design id'd as a copy of an antique St Louis or Baccarat by IVIMA Marinha Grande Portugal and somehow managed to come up with this.
http://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/pk-2011-2w-schulschenk-ivima-fussbecher.pdf
 (I have emailed PK actually before I managed to find this myself)
so now I need some help please.  Is mine a repro out of IVIMA? I think it is because the way the cartouche of the goat is set on the panel.  But what date is this?
ooh I do like an id  ;D
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 03:12:26 PM »
From what I can translate (please correct me if I am wrong)
it seems the owner wrote to PK asking for information on their goblet.  It appears to me from what was said in the article:
 that the colours (transparent dark green and red have been pictured) were not possible colours for mid 19thc original St Louis (His goblet is estimated to date from the later 20thc I think?).  The goat goblet was originally made by St Louis in 1870 in clear glass.
These goat pieces had been known about previously and research had been ongoing to try and find from whence they originated as they appeared to be copies of original St Louis  19th c pieces.  Eventually someone was found who it seemed had purchased a job lot of IVIMA produced items, some of which were these goat items.  In addition to which a catalogue of IVIMA was found from 1901 that pictured my goat goblet and a handled stein with a goat on.
I think it is my goblet design pictured in that IVIMA catalogue? But the goat goblet is also pictured in the St Louis catalogue.
So what I probably need to know is, is my goblet early 20th c repro from IVIMA, or is it more recent than that?  I assume it is not a St Louis of any time period, as far as I can see judging by the way the mould is made).
m

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 03:16:37 PM »
Personally M because of the color & quality of the pressing I would venture that yours may well turn out to be an original, but thats just my opinion. Ken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 03:21:17 PM »
~Thanks Ken, that would be lovely if it transpires  :)
otherwise I'll settle for early 20thc IVIMA but will admit to being disappointed if it was made in Portugal in 1969  ;D

Actually trying to translate and re read the article, the decision on the featured goblets in the article being IVIMA later 20thc seems to rest more on the colour of the glass rather than the design of the mould....so fingers crossed, however I still think mine looks most similar to the drawing in the IVIMA 1901 catalogue.

edited to add later -
I did search this site i've linked to but possibly my key words weren't correct to bring it up.  However I have now found a St Louis clear and frosted version of my goblet here (scroll down to the second goblet which has the goats head on)- I'm pretty certain my goblet is not St Louis now as the mould is definitely different (although I suppose there is an outside chance that there were different moulds at St Louis).
http://www.pressglas.de/Pressglas_1840-1940/Sammlung/Becher_Einfuehrung/B/Fussbecher_1/fussbecher_1.html
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 04:11:20 PM »
I notice that m's 'pressedintime' link runs down to an email address which begins......nicola....          I believe we did have a Nicola on the GMB, although don't know whether this was the same one.        Shame if we've lost a good pressed glass member.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
here is a st louis

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 05:39:50 PM »
mm, different design to mine but I would say mine fits in with that one quite well Ivo in terms of the mould layout, the way the head is placed on the shield shape at the front and the outline line which runs along the bottom of thepoint of the shield outline on the front  :-\

how tall is yours please?
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 05:50:26 PM »
a good, solid beer glass. it is in storage.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2012, 05:56:50 PM »
ah  :)
well I suppose if it's a copy that wouldn't be a good way of telling anyway.  Mine holds 1/2pt or 250ml  ;D
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand