No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: What is 'marbrie' decoration?  (Read 3167 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
What is 'marbrie' decoration?
« on: August 06, 2012, 09:05:48 AM »
I'm trying to investigate an old perfume bottle which I'll bump in a minute, but I noticed on a paperweight thread that someone described a weight as Marbrie.  That appears to be a description of a pulled feathered loop type decoration?  is that term applied to items other than weights?  Does it relate to a time period in particular?
thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: What is 'marbrie' decoration?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 09:17:38 AM »
sounds like a misread "marbré" - marbled in French

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 10:00:01 AM »
thanks Ivo  :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 10:18:18 AM »
I think it's actually a very paperweight specific description encompassing pulled decoration and not time specific

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 10:28:07 AM »
thanks  :)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 11:00:54 PM »
As Christine said, it is a term used for a type of paperweight design. I have never seen it used in respect of other glass items, which if they have a similar design would be more simply called "looped", "gadrooned" or "feathered".

It could have be a variation of the French marbre, but I do not know the actual source of the term.

In the paperweight design it is usually a pulled pattern in four, or occasionally six, loops and normally with multi-coloured threads. The loops are worked to the top of the dome and capped with at least one millefiori cane to cover the join of the loop threads.

Earliest examples are (probably) from the French Saint Louis factory of the 19th century. Several examples can be found on the Internet, but here is one in a Bonhams Auction page.
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 01:55:04 PM »
It is used for other glass than paperweights, also ceramics, furniture etc. by auction houses, but have yet to find a non-20th century or makers usage. I even found one example given as Marbrie/Nailsea. It might be better to use in preference to Nailsea!

Marbrie (probably anglicised derivation from Marbré) is a decoration simulating marble. Nothing to do with marbles for which the French is billes.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 02:43:11 PM »
Kev, thank you,  it was a long time ago but I'm sorry, I missed your reply.  Frank thank you.

it definitely irks me to see all and sundry described as ' Nailsea':
- firstly because much of the all and sundry appears to be fairly recent (and 20th century stuff)
- and secondly because describing something as Nailsea appears to me at least,to imply old and English (when mostly what I see is not)
In some ways I think I just prefer 'pulled feathered design'. That at least is properly descriptive and doesn't imply age :)
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 02:57:44 PM »
That would not differentiate the loopy style from feathering though. Pooled loops perhaps? I guess restoring to the French Marbre would not catch on, despite removing some ambiguity from an invented word. Nah, I like Marbrie ;)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 03:56:25 PM »
As a matter of interest is the feathered type of decoration created in a different way to pulled looped decoration?

I'll find the perfume bottle pic later and link it here just so there is an image of what I described as pulled feathered - just for future ref in case anyone is interested in seeing pics of what is discussed.
I don't own any Marbrie paperweights :'( so can't link an image of one of those.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand