No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: old glass wine taster? tastevin?  (Read 2890 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
old glass wine taster? tastevin?
« on: September 03, 2012, 03:05:19 PM »
took me a while to figure this out. I'm assuming that is what this is, but it might not be as I seem to only be able to find silver ones.
It measures 5" diameter by 1 1/4" high and has  a 24point star cut base which looks pretty amazing to me.  The handle is dabbed on the side then looped over and back on itself, all perfect.
Any help much appreciated please as I know absolutely nothing about these.
Have just lost the previous post as my pics were apparently too large grrrr so apologies for the brevity.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: old glass wine taster? tastevin?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 06:41:13 PM »
not having much luck re your suggestions m  -  can really only say that the 24 point star has its origins somewhere around 1830 - 40, otherwise nothing serious.
Had you considered a 'nappie' - a circular dish with flat bottom and slightly curving sides -  some kind of sauce dish used in the States in the earlier part of the C20 (or earlier for all I know).

sorry not of much use. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 08:02:44 PM »
thanks for looking Paul.  Looking at it, I may be mistaken but I feel fairly sure it is quite old...at least older than earlier 20thC -picture three held up against the window shows the glass quite well.   
Taste-vin were made in glass as well and from what I've read go back to starting c. the 16thC., but I've not been able to find any pics of any old ones regardless of Century...perhaps they got broken?  I don't know.   It is wider than the silver ones I see as well they tend to be much smaller than the 5"of this one.  Also the handle is a little more raised up than the silver ones.  So maybe it isn't a taste-vin.  Perhaps it is some sort of sauce thingy.
I must admit I'd thought (was hoping  ;D ) you might find something on it  :)
thanks for looking though.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 08:56:10 PM »
ok yes, having searched using 'nappy'  it definitely looks like a nappy.  So would that make it 20thc American?  or did these one handled bowls occur in Europe as well do you know please?
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 06:19:20 AM »
Yes these bowls were made in Europe; certainly in pressed form, so why not blown and cut. Sometimes they are ice dishes; sometimes berry bowls or even specifically strawberry bowls

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 06:37:19 AM »
so are we definitely talking 20th century rather than earlier then?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 07:23:32 AM »
the answer to that question may come more from an evaluation of the glass itself.         You'll need to look at colour, purity, evidence of wear etc.  -  in other words all the usual clues we look for when trying to determine age.      That's assuming we have no chance of finding this particular pattern in the books, which is probably unlikely.     With an object like this, wear might  be the best indicator  -  if there is very little, then most likely C20.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 08:21:22 AM »
no wear at all  ::) are we talking new?  in which case why is the glass so full of wreathing (?is that a word lol)
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 08:44:26 AM »
Striations I think you mean (I think). Could equally be late 19th C. Wear or lack thereof can be very misleading.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 09:30:20 AM »
striations are fine ;D but writhen is the word I should have used I think or what I was thinking of  :)
I don't think it's new despite there being no wear but I've not been able to find anything like this except pressed glass examples.  I have found a couple of cranberry glass examples but they aren't flat and have shell feet. 
The handle looks very similar to those on the pressed glass pieces and the cranberry pieces so probably around late 19th earliest I would guess then? Nothing in any of my books that even resembles or talks about this sort of thing.
One for the shelf until another one pops up I think.
Thanks both for your help and for looking.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand