No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sferical thin walled vase with gold flakes  (Read 646 times)

Offline på femte våningen

• Members
Sferical thin walled vase with gold flakes
« on: May 25, 2013, 05:10:58 AM »
Can anyone help me with ID on this one? Feels 1920s Murano. Rough pontil mark.

Sincerely

Rickard

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Sferical thin walled vase with gold flakes
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 06:51:42 AM »
Hi there fifth floor - that is an amazing piece of work. I agree it is very likely to be Murano but I'm not sure of the time - it could be more recent.  You forgot to mention the size of it - is it oven work or lamp work? Is there any marking on the bottom?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 06:05:12 PM »
Thank you Ivo,

I've completely forgotten that I managed to post this question at last and the notion of your answer had been sorted out as spam (hence my late reply). However; I'll get back with measure and a few close-ups tomorrow evening (Sweden time, c 24 hours from now, that is). I'm absolutely sure however that it's unsigned.

Sincerely

Rickard, on the fifth floor  :)

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 02:28:56 PM »
I've attached a few images of the vase that is 15 cm. I'm afraid that I'm not familiar with the terms oven/lamp work but presume that its referring to the way in which the gold flakes are applied? Hopefully you can tell from the images...

Sincerely

Rickard

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 04:02:47 PM »
Not quite. In oven work, the glass is taken from the oven in a molten state; a little ball is made which is rolled in gold foil, which is then blown out into the final shape. In lamp work the starting material is a factory made glass tube which is heated in a gas flame. The difference is  that lamp work can be made anywhere and is very thinwalled and very light.  15cm is an inbetween size so unable to tell which technique is used. The pontil mark is finished which looks good for oven work. If Italian I would guess Salviati - but there will hopefully be others to confirm or contradict.

Maybe moving this to the Murano section would be a good idea?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand