No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ruby moulded bowl  (Read 827 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
ruby moulded bowl
« on: June 11, 2013, 09:43:49 AM »
Having obviously been attached to a pontil rod, then am I correct in saying probably mould blown?

For the U.K., I'm aware that both Sowerby and Davidson produced this colour, but I've looked and not aware of seeing it on their sites/catalogues - and didn't see it on Pamela's 'pressglas-pavillon'.
When flicked it rings surprisingly well, and the ground/polished pontil depression looks quality  -  diameter at the rim is about 9" (about 230mm).
Some reasonably wear, and if I had to guess would go for somewhere around the 1940 - 1960 mark, but just possible it could be older.
Maybe a non-starter, but if anyone does have any ideas - and thanks for looking :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: ruby moulded bowl
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 10:01:51 AM »
Hi Paul,

Does remind me of Whitefriars, what was the height of your bowl..?  This one may be similar if not the same, although not sure a definitive conclusion was reached:

http://www.whitefriars.com/isit_contents.php?ID=9651

Greg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 11:02:25 AM »
The bowl was initially blown into a mould to form the ribs and the base using a blowing iron and then transferred to a pontil rod (solid) so it could be opened out with pucellas to flare the rim and create the bowl shape

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 02:35:52 PM »
hello Greg......          I only have the smaller book on Whitefreiars, by Leslie Jackson, and don't see this pattern in there - forgive my ignorance, but isn't 9307 one of the ribbon trailed designs  -  whereas the ribbing on this piece is definitely from a mould, and doesn't spiral, or do I have that wrong?                 The height of this bowl is virtually 4"
Certainly the 'ring' and the quality polished pontil depression do remind me of W/Fs., but it's the moulded decoration rather than hand produced ribbon trailing that bothers me.

Christine - many thanks, and you put it rather better than me.

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 04:16:45 PM »
Hi Paul – 9307 is indeed one of the ribbon trailed designs and is described as such in the 1949 Whitefriars catalogue.  I take your point regarding the moulding to the exterior; I thought the one on the ‘Is it Whitefriars’ page also looked moulded rather than trailed...? I don’t think that one spirals either, it’s difficult to make out; unfortunately no definitive conclusion appears to have been reached. Interested to see what other think regarding Whitefriars, even if it’s not Whitefriars it would be useful to know one way or another. I’ll have a look around to see if can find anything further, Whitefriars or other.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 07:07:30 AM »
thanks Greg.          Appreciate I'm very less than knowedgeable about W/Fs., but in view of the moulded decoration don't see this as one of theirs and surprised that wasn't the conclusion in the link.                The instant I saw this bowl, it was the words 'ribbon trailed' that went through my mind, although they just as quickly exited.
It's a quality piece, and I tend to buy most bits of ruby that I see, just to check them out.          Never mind, another one for the  Ivenotgotaclueshelf. ;)

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 09:31:45 AM »
I’ve got one of those shelves Paul.  :)

The moulding on your bowl is certainly uncharacteristic. I don’t collect much Whitefriars to be honest, having said that, we used to have loads of Whitefriars Ruby around when I was younger, from memory I think most of it came out of the back door of the Whitefriars factory, through someone my father used to know.  For some reason it was virtually all Ruby, graduated jugs, sets of Molars vases and numerous ribbon trailed pieces and small bowls. Unfortunately no large Banjos or Studio range  pieces! ::)

Hopefully, someone recognises your bowl over time and free's up space on your 'Ivenotgotaclueshelf'.
 :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand