No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sea Green Trumpet Vase I.D Request  (Read 924 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Sea Green Trumpet Vase I.D Request
« on: June 13, 2013, 07:34:17 PM »
Hi, can anyone identify this sea green trumpet vase.  The vase is diagonally rippled on the outside, measuring approx 1.3cm in width, however, the inside is relatively flat and  smooth to touch.  This may not be visible on pictures taken, but can be clearly seen in natural lite.   The base is rippled and measures 8.4cm dia.  The concave polished pontil measures approx. 4.2cm.  Vase height 7.2cm, rim dia. 10.7cm.  I would be very interested to know the originator and probable age. Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Sea Green Trumpet Vase I.D Request
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 08:23:45 PM »
Looks like Stevens and Williams/Royal Brierley http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=891 1930s/40ish to no later than 1965 (Skelcher Big Book of Vaseline Glass)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 10:52:41 PM »
Wow!   Thanks Christine for your quick response and I.d.   I've just been looking at some of your comments on a '2010' thread, which is very informative.   I for some reason, did not have a good feeling about this 'celery' vase ;D prior to purchase, but my gut instinct paid off.  I purchased two at the time, but this gold/amber vase does have a snapped off pontil though.   I may need to place this in a new post, I think ::).  If so, I will see that it's done. :)

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,37460.0.html   

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 06:25:28 AM »
I have one of those too in green uranium http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1289
but have never been happy to call it definitely Stevens and Williams

Yours has a ground pontil mark with the remnants of the pontil scar, which means it snapped off too deeply and it couldn't all be ground away. A snapped pontil mark is one untoouched after it was broken off.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 07:56:36 AM »
Good finds Otis............and here's another with its original wire flower support - the one on the left is u. and the other isn't - you can just see the difference when you have them in the flesh, but not in these pix I don't think.             Keep a look out for a blue one Otis, they're attractive, but seem to be more scarce than these usual colours.
All these have ground/polished pontils, apart from the two clear pieces (one of which carries the word CELERY) and the u. globe.       What intended use the shorter clear piece with lip had, I don't know.
I think we've decided that the vase with flecks is most probably S. & W., but I'm never quite sure of the others.

I'd suggest that the subject heading for this post includes the words 'crackle glass'. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 08:17:04 AM »
The flecky one and the others in the same shape are almost certainly S&W. (I can see the difference between the U and non-U when they are together like that  ;D ). Crackle glass was and is pretty common and is still made today, so we should be careful about attribution. The known shape is the clue in this case.

(PS is the globe a lightshade and is it for sale?)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 10:21:56 AM »
A blue one.for Paul, :o ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 01:39:19 PM »
thanks Keith  -  really made my day :'(  ;D         ........here's another I found on this morning's walk, which in view of the wear is quite probably 1950's  ish, I think.           It has a 'from the mould' base, and not a polished depression.          Also it's not uranium.

Christine - yes, I'll send you an off-Board note about the globe -  it's not a shade, I'm certain it's simpy the base - you will see an attached pic showing the brass collar which is held on with p. of p.              Could be wrong, but I think the idea was that the powered flex entered the circular hole in the collar - then came back up inside a metal tube which was screwed to the thread in the centre of the collar - thence rising up to a standard bayonet fitting and thus to the bulb.           What sort of shade it had I've no idea  -  I don't have either the metal tube or shade.
I'd have thought it was something like 1940's to somewhere in the 1950's - but really not sure.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 02:10:36 PM »
I have one of those too in green uranium http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1289
but have never been happy to call it definitely Stevens and Williams

Yours has a ground pontil mark with the remnants of the pontil scar, which means it snapped off too deeply and it couldn't all be ground away. A snapped pontil mark is one untouched after it was broken off.

I am more than happy to call mine Stevens and Willams.  No one can't say it isn't ::), and if they did, evidence will undoubtedly be requested! ;D

Good finds Otis.    Keep a look out for a blue one .  All these have ground/polished pontils, apart from the two clear pieces (one of which carries the word CELERY) and the u. globe. 

Thanks Paul,   I've just been conversing with a Friend and she reckons she's got a blue one that is a bit smaller than mine.  Knowing my luck, it will probably be from TKM.  She's bringing it over later today.  So I will have to be very careful with my 'attribution'  ;D.  I see, we've beaten to the post with the scarce blue  >:(.

I'm sure I posted a crackle vase on this site a few years ago  ::).   I will have to look back at my posts.

With reference to the vase with the fleck.  I did'nt know S W aslo used this type of pattern  ::).

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 02:15:45 PM »
my apologies in advance Otis  -  we seem to be hijacking your thread, hope you don't mind too much.

Just remembered this cocktail shaker plus glass which was lurking in the shed - could be a little earlier in date than some of the other pieces - perhaps late 1930's to 1940's??.........and it's most definitely uranium.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand