No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unsigned swung rim vase, crystal, clear, heavy... French?  (Read 1560 times)

Offline susi

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • vases
    • USA
Unsigned swung rim vase, crystal, clear, heavy... French?
« on: August 09, 2013, 04:52:29 PM »
Please help me identify this vase.  It measures 7 1/4 inches in height, and about 5 inches at the widest portion.  It is extremely heavy and very well balanced, and the crystal is very clear, as the photographs show.  It had no sticker and there are no marks on it, anywhere, other than small scratches of age.  This is a vase I found in a Goodwill thrift shop about 3 months ago, and cleaned up to display with some of my other favorite crystal vases.
The closest example I have found, dated from 1917 (pictured on page 207 of "Miller's 20th-Century Glass" by Andy McConnell) is a vase from 1917, identified as a "Chippendale" Carnation Vase from the Krys-tol range that was comprised of 15 designs.  McConnell states "This form is known generically as a swung vase: they are pressed with vertical sides, but were stretched on reheating and swung backward and forward.  The rim was created by further reheating and manual tooling."   According to McConnell, the Chippendale range was produced in America and England, with the American pieces marked with an impressed logo "Chippendale Krys-Tol" and the British ones sold with stickers.  The line was designed by William Jacobs for the Ohio Flint Glass Company in 1907, with the rights to produce it changing hands four times in 22 years, with English production continuing to the early 1970s. 
BUT, every piece I've been able to find in the Krys-tol range looks very different from this vase, with the sole exception of the one pictured in Miller's book, as mentioned above.  So, I'm completely at a loss about the maker of this piece.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Unsigned swung rim vase, crystal, clear, heavy... French?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 06:14:27 PM »
Your vase is hand blown and hot worked; it is not pressed and then swung, as is the one you are referring to (p112 in my edition). A swung piece of Krystol is likely to be quite unusual and probably a US variation. You should perhaps be looking at someone like Heisey but definitely not pressed glass. I don't think your vase was even swung; it looks more like the neck was opened with pucellas

Ps, Welcome to the board

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline susi

• Members
    • vases
    • USA
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 06:32:34 PM »
Thank you, Loustrousstone, for the reply and information.  When I found this vase, I thought it was hand blown and hot worked.  But, upon researching it, I was surprised at the picture of the Krys-tol vase and how similar it seemed, but then was unable to find other similar Krys-tol vases.  How would you describe the shape?  I seem to remember seeing this shape of crystal vase in antique shops in the 1970s, but nothing is turning up via the auction and collectible sites, nor have I seen anything in my local antique dealers.  I've tried searching for "footed trumpet" and "jack-in-the-pulpit" but nothing is vaguely similar that shows up.

Here are more pics:

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 12:24:08 AM »
Problem is that Miller's is to be polite...unreliable & full of mis-information. The Krys-Tol trade name was used by Ohio Flint, Jefferson Glass & Central Glass...all before 1910 & is EAPG (Early American Pressed (some say the P is for Pattern) Glass & has absolutely nothing to do with your vase which is modern. I even doubt that its of U.S. manufacture. I would  venture Swedish, Czech, etc. before U.S. Miller's is so bad that a past edition has a oriental monk lamp as ancient Chinese glass...its Swedish soapstone. Sorry I cannot help with an ID.   

Offline ttttootall

• Members
  • For the LOVE of GLASS
    • South Carolina (USA)
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 10:18:47 AM »
Vannes Le Chatel Calla Crystal Art Glass Lily Vase Contemporary France
Tony

Offline susi

• Members
    • vases
    • USA
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 03:45:39 PM »
 A huge THANK-YOU to ttttootall for the identification.  In the past few days, I had been researching for this vase as a "calla lily" shape.  Can you tell me how you knew about this vase and its maker?  I keep trying to learn more about my treasures, and this is just one of many.....  I'd love recommendations for my education!  Books, galleries, museums, websites, etcetera!

Offline ttttootall

• Members
  • For the LOVE of GLASS
    • South Carolina (USA)
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 10:49:33 PM »
I love all kinds of glass and trying to identifying it is a thrilling experience too.
My first source of identifying a piece is lots of searching the Internet, then the " Glass message board" is always a second and if all else fails the library.

Good searching,
Tony
Tony

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand