No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Biblical hand carved and blown vase depicting three scenes...pontil mark  (Read 693 times)

Offline norman warbreck

• Members
Hello everyone
Being away for some time and must say have not found anything special...yet i think this piece may just be the thing!

The glass is thick and of a soda ash color. The pontil has been smoothed and the scratches are a plenty with extreme age....dirty
The vase itself is not perfectly rouinded to the top and one can see where it was cut off....a slight warp look to it.

There are three scenes from the Bible i guess...well thats how i read it. each scene is separated with a pillar and three roundals
1. Looks like Adam or perhaps Eve.sitting on a tree stump holding some wheat oin the one hand and the other outstretched to the tree. On the other side of the tree is a stunningly carved basket filled with apples.
2. A lion ...looks like the lion of David...lies in the foreground surrounded with trees in the forground and an outcrop of rocks just above his head.
3.A fisherman in his boat....styled like those used by fisherman around the time of Jesus...to the right is a ner filled with what i guess is fish raised out of the water and a tree to the far right.
Below the fisherman on land is an  Egret amoung the reeds.
The vase is 3 and a wee bit thick.....11,5cm high and 10cm dia....with the base being 7,5cm

Looking at the engraving i just marvel at the quality and depth also the structure of the trees....the figure sitting on the tree stump....has the body of a grown up churub. All i all the features overall are so distinct.

I simply have no idea as to where and when...but i do know this one has quality and age to it.
Any help will be very much appreciated.
kind regards

norman

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline norman warbreck

• Members
Re: Biblical hand carved and blown vase depicting three scenes...pontil mark
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 01:03:37 PM »
oops forgot some of the pics

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline norman warbreck

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 01:05:47 PM »
Here are some more dtailed pics...

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 02:37:13 PM »
Hi ,
           Nice tumbler,I think what you have is a late 17th to early 18th century Bohemian tumbler , everything about it adds up to this , the clear roundels and archways ,the all over polished deep cut engraving,the style of the trees, boat, people etc all say this is what it is , I think it will be impossible to name the engraver though,there were so many and very very few ever signed there work so that comparisons can be made.some can be attributed to engravers who been given a name by the style and quality of the cutting, the Master of Kuola being one of them , still unknown by his real name but recognized by his style , this one is in a similar style but not quite good enough for him though . there are a few books were you can see other examples , the Krug Collection catalogues are 1 and also a book "European Glass from 1500 to 1800 by Klesse and Meyr, I have a few similar so will see what photos I have and pop a couple up later .

cheers ,
               Peter.

Offline norman warbreck

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 03:06:33 PM »
Hi there Peter

The pic shown are very similar.....and a delight to see something else that compares  I look forward to your other pics.
Is the tumbler shown one of your collection....?

regards
norman

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 03:21:24 PM »
Hi ,
            Yep that one is mine and the only one I have photos of at the moment , it being the best .the others I have from the same period are no way near as good

cheers ,
             Peter.

Offline norman warbreck

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 03:30:55 PM »
it has so many similar cuttings and character of cutting...especially the pillars and 3 roudels...would not be surprised if these were from the same hand.

cheers
norman

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 03:39:32 PM »
HI ,
               The pillars and roundels are common features on these types and used by many engravers , almost like they had a template of the arches and they filled in the blanks , its better to look at the detail of the human figures and the boats etc for a better comparison , yours may be by the same hand but i think its more likely not looking closely at some of the details I mention , who by in these glasses is not really important, to find a 300 plus year old tumbler is a pretty good find I think .

cheers ,
                 Peter ,

ps  you now need to christen it with something nice .lol the choice is yours , that is after all what they were made for .

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 09:09:08 PM »
Amasing 300 years old  ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum