No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: possible 'annagelb' uranium glass.  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
possible 'annagelb' uranium glass.
« on: September 08, 2013, 05:51:04 PM »
thought this was u. glass at first, then had doubts and thought simply massive amounts of manganese, and now unsure which.   In the sunlight there is a definite greenish tint in the rim and thicker parts.
Seems unusual mix of design elements........rummer bowl with bladed knop and sits on outside of slightly conical foot.......which suggests not British (which wouldn't be anyway if annagelb).                Very strong and long ding when flicked, so would appear high lead content.
Snapped pontil scar, and fair amount of wear and with plenty of striations and tool marks, so assume hand made.         Height is about 5" (130mm).
At some time in life broken immediately above knop, and provided with method of repair I've not seem before - has metalic collars either side of knop joined by two part angular brace, so loved a lot by someone.

What sort of age might this have please, and are people convinced it is definitely uranium.            thanks for looking :) 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: possible 'annagelb' uranium glass.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 06:05:30 PM »
I'm not - convinced that it is UR - and it does not look gelb to me either. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 07:32:15 PM »
I think I'd like to see it in the "flesh" but not gelb, maybe amber uranium

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 09:23:26 PM »
probably should have used the blacklight tube first - it's just that it means having to empty the cabinet.           However, this new pic. now looks more like a piece containing uranium  - can't think manganese would give this depth of glow.               Such a great ring it gives, and could be that the high lead oxide content is masking some of the uranium effect, but always possible that other chemicals were added.

Anyone care to take a punt as to what sort of date might this be?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 09:27:37 PM »
Yes, I agree now. Odd that the middle bit isn't though. 1850ish perhaps

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 02:06:52 AM »
The stem looks like it has two sections with some kind of opaque putty instead of glass.  Repair?

Sid

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 08:19:14 AM »
quote............"At some time in life broken immediately above knop, and provided with method of repair I've not seem before - has metalic collars either side of knop joined by two part angular brace, so loved a lot by someone."              It's the collars that are hiding the glow just either side of the knop. :)

thanks for the opinions people.             Just goes to show that, on odd occasions, pontil scars do occur through much of the C19 - so a feature which has the potential to be misleading, although since this glass does appear to contain uranium then couldn't be earlier than about 1840 anyway, as Ivo reminded us recently. 
Appealing little glass, and something I'll keep as it may well be quite early in the uranium time scale.            I still have a feeling it's not British, but that's just my opinion.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 11:24:44 AM »
Walsh has snapped pontil marks on quite late stuff.

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 08:38:06 PM »
I have a patent from the United States (1920's), that shows by adding 10% to15% of uranium dioxide to glass, the color turned out 'henna' or amber in color.  Now, I am NOT saying this is a USA product, or even when it was made, but glass makers back to 1840s have known that by increasing the amount of uranium dioxide in the glass, it comes out amber instead of yellow with a hint of green.  That is what you have!  I personally call it honey amber uranium glass.  I have tested some honey amber uranium glass with a geiger counter, and the geiger counter proved it had considerable more uranium dioxide than a normal 0.5% to 2% concentration.  I have several examples of 'honey amber uranium' in my collection.  Thomas Webb made something called 'Sunshine Yellow' that is more amber in color and does not show hints of green (unless you put a blacklight on it), and that had a higher amount of uranium in it than they usually used. 

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 10:40:56 AM »
thanks Dave  -  very much appreciate your thoughts, and am tempted to agree with your suggestion that the colour of this glass might be described as 'honey'.
Believe I'm correct in say that the T/Webb product you have in mind is one of the three colours from the Gay Glass Range  ........the other two being 'Spring' and 'Evergreen' - with  'Sunshine' (called Golden Amber by the factory) being the only one of the three to contain uranium.
Am attaching a pic showing the original glass together with a piece of T/Webb's 'Sunshine'.         You can see some similarity, but there is a noticable difference in that the drinking glass is a deeper colour compared to the brighter amber of the Gay Glass 'Sunshine'. 

In the U.K. we see a fair amount of Gay Glass 'Sunshine' - and am sure you're correct about the higher than usual uranium content. 
However, I would say that 'Sunshine' is often noticable in the morning when the lemony green of the rims shows up (even without bright sunlight), so a torch not always necessary.

I'll settle for calling the drinking glass honey amber uranium glass, but feel sure the drinking glass has nothing to do with T/Webb's Gay Glass 'Sunshine', despite the very similar daylight reaction when the u.v. torch is applied to both - indicating, possibly, a similar uranium content.        Of course, we'll never know what other constituents may have gone into the batch re the drinking glass. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand