No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Help on Iridescent Glass Vase Please!  (Read 1091 times)

Offline a-mighty-wind

• Members
ID Help on Iridescent Glass Vase Please!
« on: October 02, 2013, 12:31:09 AM »
Picked the piece up in a local shop. I have seen similar pieces by Steuben and Imperial Freehand but I lean that way just because I am a selfish American   :D.  Please help if you can..... The piece is 11" tall. The pontil mark is ground in a fine circle but is not highly polished, it has a bit of a frosted appearance. The piece is thin and of good quality.

Thanks for you help!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: ID Help on Iridescent Glass Vase Please!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 02:54:58 PM »
I went through my IG Freehand catalog & corresponding photos plus Durand & I cannot match that type of pulled design. I will say though that it reminds me of Terry Crider (Wapakoneta, OH) who had a studio in the late 70s into the late 80s, early 90s. He was better than just good, he was absolutely great & 90% of the pieces he produced were dead ringers for both Freehand & Durand with pulled feather, threading, hanging hearts, etc. Now although he signed his pieces with a dremel more than a few unscrupulous art glass dealers used to flock to his shop then turn over whatever they bought to skilled "repair" individuals who would polish out Terry's signature & the pieces were then marketed as Freehand or Durand depending on which line they most closely resembled. This was SOP around the midwest for years believe me & although Crider pieces were not cheap when marketed new by him they were cheap enough & trust me well enough executed to bring big bucks when marketed as Freehand or Durand. Personally I think you have a piece of Crider, but thats just my opinion.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 09:52:27 PM »
I believe that this example is actually Bohemian and by Rindskopf in a pulled feather decor. ca 1900  Another example in a different color combination, but the same shape is attached.

Craig

I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 12:48:17 AM »
Figures I would be off base because of U.S. Studio glass & not consider Bohemian.

Offline a-mighty-wind

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 01:14:09 AM »
Once again you guys do not disappoint! Found more pieces in the exact shape and color.  Thank you Obscurities for you expertise!!

And thank you all again for your passion an contributions to such a great site!

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 03:11:38 AM »
Ken, I know this link will not stay forever, but take a look at this piece. In Ohio, and does not seem quite right to be old glass.....  colors, weight, pontil, shape....  all just seem a littler off to me....  hard to say for sure though....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elegant-RINDSKOPF-Art-Glass-Vase-with-Striking-Colors-Bohemian-Czech-Loetz-Era-/171140870287?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d8ca708f

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 06:24:42 AM »
Craig I wish I could help however unfortunately I no longer consider myself good enough nor young enough anymore to pass positive attributions or judgements on this type of glass so I have no idea. All I can say is  I won't touch any of this pulled feather, hanging hearts or threaded stuff around here in the midwest. Crider was one thing, you also had Eickholt blowers doing their own thing on their time in Columbus & do not forget...all those really talented former Fenton blowers who knew alot of the secrets & formulas are still running around in the Wheeling area...they didn't just disappear off the face of the earth & there is a recent movement of studio glass in WV. I've simply seen first hand what went on in the past & we still get a ton of Tiffany (Lundberg) salting all the good malls with the dremel crowd in full swing. The wild west is alive & well.

What did me in about two years ago was a 10" Crider (signed) Ivory color hanging hearts vase with light amethyst threading I sold in my mall as of course legit signed Crider only to see it turn up a month or so later in a trendy operation mall five miles from me...signed Durand at $750 & it was my old vase because I found the tiny thread break mine had & could plainly see where the bottom had been ground to remove the Crider signature.

Its fortunate you know 95%+ of the time what is good. Depression & Elegant era glass is what I primarily stick to these days 95% of the time...at least this stuff I know hasn't been monkeyed with. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand