No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Squirrel Decanters  (Read 2870 times)

Offline lenore

• Members
Murano Squirrel Decanters
« on: May 11, 2006, 02:56:36 AM »
Hi,
Oh, how I wish I had a picture of the two decanters I saw today. As best as I could tell (because the dealer was not available to unlock their case), these decanters were for a liquor company for something like Lumborg or Luxburg. Any way they were beautiful. Each had a large alexandrite purple-blue squirrel for the top and the base which held the liqour had a heavy free form ribbed base like a Loreando Rosin/Salviati fish. The base was acid-etched with "Made in Murano Italy for Lumborg/Luxborg...". Then each had a label that looked old that had Seguso Vetri D'Arte on it that looked liked it was typed on a typewriter... not a company label. Does anybody have an idea as to the what, when, where's?
Thanks!
Lenore

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 02:40:50 PM »
Girolamo Luxardo distillery of Torreglia, Italy
Fruit Liquors
The 1968 neodymium squirrel, bears the Seguso Vetri D'Arte label.
See
Luxardo Bottles Identification and Price Guide
by Constance Avery and Al Cembura
Publ.: Metropolitan Printing, Portland, Oregon 1968;
Luxardo Price Supplement, ibid., 1970.
Pete

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 03:12:52 PM »
I know Seguso made sommerso dog decanters for one of the drinks companies but have not come across squirrel ones.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline lenore

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 11:36:08 AM »
Wow, thanks for the info! You all are the best.
Anyway, a bit of an update... I found a gorgeous pheasant one which more than likely was also made by Seguso that I will enjoy for a bit and then post on the market board. Wonder how many different animals Seguso made in this series and how many of each? Really unique and just shows how wonderful Murano artisians are.
Thanks again for all the good help!
Lenore

Offline lenore

• Members
Update- With Pictures
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 12:33:17 AM »
Hi,
Here is the red bird Luxardo decanter which is just magnificent. Am going to try sending these pictures to Luxardo and request any info they may have for this series of decanter which probably is indeed made by Seguso. If I hear back from them, will share the info here.
Lenore

Oops, pics didn't show up properly. Try it again...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand