No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A traforato type - trellis bowl green iridescent - Ercole Barovier?  (Read 5098 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: A traforato type - trellis bowl green iridescent - Ercole Barovier?
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2013, 09:13:02 PM »
Further to discussion on another thread ref age of this bowl and techniques, I've taken some more close up pictures of the glass.  Looking at it there is nothing to suggest to me that this is of recent manufacture.  Obviously, wear and bubbles in the metal etc can all be recent I know, but it just doesn't speak new to me  :-\  I think this it is old.  The wear on the base rim is matt, years of wear, but the interior of the bowl is in excellent condition. I don't feel the wear on the base is faked btw.
( I am aware I'm digging myself a great big hole for the day when someone says 'aha...replica made 2 years ago' ;D )
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 05:57:43 PM »
trellis or lattice version of a new candle holder being sold by Nazeing Glass factory shop - open clear trellis but with an open spiky top and a solid black  coloured glass base

I don't know where it was made though
http://www.nazeing-glass-factoryshop.co.uk/PBHotNews.asp?PBMInit=1

'New I-Net Candleholders
We now have a selection of i-Net glass lattice candle holders back in stock.

These beautiful pieces of decorative glassware have a solid glass base and a glass latticework body (a glass "net"). 

All are hand made and come with a pillar candle.'

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline kimo

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Deco, nouveau, brilliant
    • America
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 06:17:14 PM »
I have been having fun trying to think of the different techniques for making such a lattice. 

The fastest and possibly easiest I can think of would to start with the circular base, then placing it on a turntable and using a rod of the same color glass, a torch, and a metal rod with a hook on the end (likely having a assistant in there as well) heat the rod and touch it to the base to fuse the end, then heating a length of an inch or two of the rod to make it soft, use the metal rod with the hook to pull it upwards to form an inverted V while you are pulling down on the rod to touch and fuse it to the base an inch or so from the previous fusing, and work you way around the base to you wind up with a saw tooth pattern of the glass standing up from the base.  Then go around again but this time fusing the heated rod to the tips of each of the lower row of inverted Vs.  Repeat this all the way to the top where you fuse a ring of the glass to the tips of the top row.

Another more involved way might be to build a jig of perhaps one-third of the diameter and using cut 1 inch lengths from a glass rod, lay them in the jig and then using a length of the same glass rod just heat and fuse all of the ends together.  Make three of these and if you have made your jig well the ends should match up well and you can then heat/fuse them together to make the full circle.  Attach a solid base and a top ring to finish it off.

Does anyone know if these basket shapes used either of these methods or perhaps some other method to get the lattice design?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 06:24:31 PM »
:)  there is a demonstration of contemporary one of these being made by a Czech master glassblower (Tom Fuhrman pointed me in the right direction) - I'll try and find the picture for you.
edited to add - top row picture on the right on this link - Petr Novotny
http://www.ajetoglass.com/en/ajeto-glass-novy-bor/school/
discussion on this subject is on this thread here

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,54937.msg311339.html#msg311339

BOŘEK ŠÍPEK also uses this trellis work in his designs - some pics from "Studio Anežka" located in Nový Bor
http://boreksipek.com/images/slide/slide67.jpg
m

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 10:58:27 AM »
Have no idea but very Pretty

I think I did once see something like this at Antique Helper (maybe under Murano) or just under the words of Art glass.  It was a weaved pattern basket like this in an iridescent clear

That's all I can say -- but yours is very pretty too!! ;)

....better late than Never....LOL...always had this post in the back of my Mind

Something similar for ya:

http://www.antiquehelper.com/item/333033

:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2015, 02:03:36 PM »
Hi Rose and thank you for still looking for me   :D

I did use that example and sent my pics to Barovier and Toso ... who unfortunately said it was not from their stable.

I'm still keeping my eyes peeled.  I feel sure it is old and is Murano rather than more recent and Studio or Czech.  But that's just gut feel  ;D

m

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2015, 02:11:48 PM »
Who could forget this bowl!!

The Style, shape and Color -- So Stunning   :)
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2019, 08:15:09 PM »
ok, so I am just adding this link in case it comes in handy at a later date:

http://archivi.cini.it/centrostudivetro/archive/IT-CSV-GUI001-000004/dino-martens.html

Coppa Iridata 1948

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand