No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amber glass boot – Greener & Co. RD 103975 of 17 July 1888?  (Read 2664 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Amber glass boot – Greener & Co. RD 103975 of 17 July 1888?
« on: November 25, 2013, 08:48:28 PM »
I am led to believe that this unmarked amber glass boot (which stands 4 inches high) is from Greener & Co.’s registered design number 103975 of 17 July 1888.

Does anyone have a marked example (either with the RD number or the Greener trademark), or is anyone able to find any kind of reference that confirms it, please?

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Amber glass boot – Greener & Co. RD 103975 of 17 July 1888?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 11:44:21 AM »
Fred, I don't have this on my list of pictures already taken - so you may have to add to the Look Up Requests, and I'll  enquire next time I go.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 12:12:09 PM »
Thank you, Paul - will do.

Fred.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 05:14:45 AM »
Hi Fred

I have only any had 2 of these boots. The first one that I sold some years ago did have a Rd number .

I have checked through my pictures, but at that time did not always keep them so cannot confirm . I do have a picture of the same boot which I bought later but the second one looks unmarked.

I have a contact in the USA who collect shoes , I will ask her if she has any.

I also have the book Shoes of Glass by Libby Yalom  who is also friends with my contact

Roy

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 09:01:29 AM »
Thank you, Roy.

I await any response from your contacts with interest.

Fred.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 06:09:00 PM »
Fred

I cannot confirm if the boot is Greener or not. I have been told from my friend in the USA that she has 2 one in amber and one in black but they are not marked.

I am more than 99.9% sure that possibly 7 or 8 years ago I did sell an amber Greener boot with a Rd number on it.

Roy

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 07:51:10 PM »
Thank you, Roy.

Fred.

Offline SantaR

• Members
    • European Glass
    • USA
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 04:40:20 AM »
Dear Agincourt

May I ask very respectfully a question?  I have followed glassmessages closely recently and have seen many of your posts.  I am interested in research of many kinds and am wondering for what reason you ask for precise registration details for the many wonderful pieces of glass that you post.  If you think that this question is out of place, then that is fine but I am so intrigued by the questions and I think it would help me further my education into this most absorbing hobby. 

Many thanks in advance.

Santa

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 11:33:10 AM »
Santa,

The wonder of glass is, of course, is within its very nature – plastic and malleable, capable of transformation into a huge variety of forms and colours –whether in the expert hands of the artisan or artist, or by industrial processes enabling mass production.

Although I appreciate many kinds of glass for their intrinsic style, beauty or usefulness, I like to be able to compare one piece with another and, in my case, relate or classify them stylistically, historically or technically. I think most people who appreciate glass for any number reasons like to know how a piece was made, who made it, and when it was likely to have been made.

Begun in 1842, British design registrations were primarily a means of providing copyright protection for a (supposedly) unique design feature – sometimes the shape of a piece, sometimes the decoration  (or part of the decoration) on a piece, and sometimes the combination of the two. The protection was for a fixed period of time, and could be renewed. From my point of view though, if a glass item bears British design registration details (be it a registry date lozenge or design registration number) then that provides many of my requirements for placing it reliably (or even precisely) within in a stylistic, historical, chronological, or technical classification, namely:

The design registrant, who was often, but not always, the manufacturer of the item.  For some items, the design was registered by an agent or importer on behalf of a manufacturer; sometimes the registrant was the actual designer of copyright owner of the design. The actual registers also give the address of the registrant.

The registration date – day, month and year.

The registered design number, enabling (in theory) a precise location for the details within the registers (and also a cross reference to the design representation - a pictorial representation, normally a drawing or photograph, of the registered unique design feature).

I have a strong interest in British glass made broadly during the period just overlapping Queen Victoria’s reign (say 1835-1910), especially the history of glass manufacture during that period and the developing social and artistic implications of the availability of affordable, mass-produced, factory-made glassware.

Fortunately, the GMB has proved to be the ideal forum for resolving many of my queries, and hopefully other like-minded members have also benefited from the interchange of information that it provides.

Fred.

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 04:12:15 PM »
Beautifully put Fred......I love your posts...I have learnt so much    :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand