No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: is this an anglo irish Georgian preserve jam pot?  (Read 2453 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
is this an anglo irish Georgian preserve jam pot?
« on: December 10, 2013, 10:11:54 PM »
Hello there can you help me identify this piece of glass, it's not English lead crystal it does not have that ring to it, there is a square ct base with heavy wear and the cuts are sharp, it's 6 1/2 inches in height, there is a gap in the lid for a spoon, regards Chris
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: is this an anglo irish Georgian preserve jam pot?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 11:25:57 AM »
hello Bruce  -  welcome to the GMB :)

the short answer is that it's difficult to be sure with some of these pieces, looking only at the screen.             Your covered jar shows a form of decoration often refered to as the Anglo-Irish style, with plain diamonds and flutes/blazes which were very common forms of decoration in the late Georgian/Regency period.
However, factors other than pure decoration are needed to be sure ........colour of the glass (in my opinion I'd imagine there should be some lead content if period) is important, as is a lack of symmetry in the cutting - if the cutting is too good that might be an issue.    The style of radial cutting on the base, and how the arms are cut can also help to date.

A major problem here - with authenticity - is the amount of reproduction of antique table glass that was made between the end of the C19 and middle to late 1930's
Quoting in particular from Charles Hajdamach's 'British Glass 1800 - 1914', he says.........."In the late 1920's and early 1930's the Birmingham and London retailers Hill Ouston published a number of catalogues filled with designs for 'Reproduction Antique Glassware"   etc.    .................  page 405 shows some pieces similar to yours.
I believe that there was also some copying of British Georgian designs in eastern Europe in the C20 - and it's now known that some of the ABP patterns from very early C20 were copied much later  -  so it's an area where much care is needed.
I'd suggest that the most important issue here is colour - and it's not easy to produce high quality images for the screen showing the exact colour.               Wear won't necessarily verify a 200 plus year old piece of glass  -  aside from faking the wear, most table glass over 70 - 80 years can show signs of considerable use anyway.

These are my opinions only, and it would be good to have the input of others  -  your piece may well be genuine.              Where did you source the glass, provided you don't mind saying :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 09:32:28 PM »
I picked the two pieces of glass up that i have posted from a charity shop yesterday for a fiver, i do have an extensive glass collection, this piece of glass has a dirty straw colour look to it that's what makes me think it's not English, i don't think it's 1930's i have quite a few pieces of recycled Georgian patterns by Webb, Stevens and williams and the like, there always crystal clear and look to good to be true and very well made, i'm loving this site, scrolling down the various posts and it's is a wealth of knowledge, what a great idea. I agree wear to the base means nothing (although the Antiques roadshow would have you think otherwise), the modern glass in my kitchen has more wear than some of the Georgian glass i own, it all depends on use and the general treatment a piece of glass has, if it's sat in Aunties cabinet for 90 years it looks brand new, thanks for your welcome and help
Chris Parry

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 10:49:47 PM »
I'd agree that a yellowish tint probably indicates a lack of lead  -  in that case the issue might be that this was made outside the U.K. - and then inappropriate to call it Anglo-Irish??
What is the condition of the diamonds  -  are they still all undamaged??      So often with this decoration there is damage on the high spots.
Any seeds in the square foot?
Got the name right now Chris ;D 

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 04:35:36 PM »
I've taken some more pics of this glass as i now realise just how bad the first one was. regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 07:07:19 PM »
this spoon cut out seems not to be something that I can find on similar pieces in the books (that's not to say categorically it can't be found) - and my own three examples of covered jars/urns are without this feature, although I suspect they're possibly too large and maybe for sweetmeats instead  -  although I do have this feature on what I believe is a late Georgian/Regency mustard pot.
My two examples of late Georgian/Regency preserve/jam containers have lids without cut outs, and to the best of my knowledge my examples are British  -  regret I'm unable to comment on the designs of similar Continental table wares.
I'm wondering if this facility for a spoon on jam/preserve pots was more of a Victorian innovation - but not sure.

According to Wilkinson ('The Hallmarks of Antique Glass), these sixteen point stars occurred around c. 1830, and no doubt existed for a decade or two overlapping with the succeeding 24 point star  -  and copied at various times since, so not a feature to provide authenticity of period.

Having looked at some of my stars on known earlyish C19 pieces, my personal take on these pix is that the arms are possibly too narrow and pointed, and they're not sufficiently 'touching' in the area toward their centre.

One aspect of the making of stars, which should indicate period  is that.................. earlier mitres were made with two passes of the wheel  -  hence one side of the arm appears longer (i.e. the point is assymetrical)  -  and if the points are too good looking then this is a POSSIBLE indication of later production.

As we've already discussed, on its own the degree of wear on this item isn't adequate to take it back to the period you suggest, so not something of help on this occasion.

Regret we're not really any further forward on this one, and you may have to live with some doubt, permanently.

P.S.      Pix are an improvement, but can be even better by omitting hands and busy backgrounds. ;)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 07:25:12 PM »
Thanks for that paul, i think i might be seeing this as a piece of Victorian glass considering what you have said, the cut for the spoon and your knowledge of patterns and cuts and your detailed description, i'm pretty sure it's not a 1930's revamp, alas i once owned a photography degree but lack the equipment to produce a crystal clear images and mega pixles to upload would not allow it anyway.
Chris Parry

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 08:05:33 PM »
Hi Chris
                  Its not really about having great equipment or if you start of with a large file , my attached photo was taken earlier today for another thread using a fairly standard camera , Cannon power shot , the image started life at 3 MB but was very simply reduced retaining quality to a size acceptable to the forum with a couple of clicks ,lighting and background as has already been mentioned are more important than the equipment I think.I am not saying these are professional quality shots but they serve me well daily .

cheers ,
             Peter

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 08:21:30 PM »
Can you explain how you took this shot, set up and lighting, i tried to use a program to reduce high quality pictures suggested by another member "irfanwiew" i just could not get my head around it, i know you should use a white background with two black sides to add reflections into the glass and a backlight on the white background but it just does not work for me, the only way i can put pictures on this site is to change the setting on my camera to take 0.3 megapixels pictures, that way i can upload four pictures at one time.
Chris Parry

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 08:38:44 PM »
Hi ,
           its really quite simple  a box with a black interior with a white sheet of paper from the back top in 1 piece to the front of the base , the top has a sliding aperture ,sliding back to front , pull it forward and the whole at the top gets bigger etc the daylight bulb is above the aperture,take the shot from a few feet away with zoom to avoid distortion if too close ,using picasa "export" select the size you want and "export" it back to its original file , that way they don't get lost , all this is on the 1 window and very simple to use,
  the attached photo I have just taken will probably explain it better
cheers ,
             Peter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand