No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can anyone help me date this glass please  (Read 711 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Can anyone help me date this glass please
« on: December 24, 2013, 06:35:59 PM »
Hello there can anyone shed any light on my favourite beer glass, there are also two other things i'm going to post that have puzzled me for a while which i'm going to list separately this evening, regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
Re: Can anyone help me date this glass please
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 08:21:18 PM »
Hi ,
            You don't give a size but I reckon you have a Rummer with a double ogee bowl and a blade knop to the stem , which all adds up to the first 1/2 of the 19th c , probably c 1820 to 1840 .

cheers ,
              Peter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 11:37:22 PM »
all I can say is that your beer drinking looks to be a little meagre ;)               Am sure that Peter is spot on with his assessment  -  I think also that a lot of us tend to view small diameter feet as later productions, which I'm assuming applies to rummers as well as wines.

You obviously need Tim Mills' book on rummers  -  worth every penny (even without an index)  -  it includes information on this innovative shape, which we're told started life c. 1810, although the majority of examples in the book are ovoids and buckets.           I'm not remotely up on rummers, but get the impression that this double ogee shape isn't that common.
Another very useful rule of thumb from the book is that the presence of a central knop in the stem is almost certainly an indication of C19 manufacture.
I'll take a guesss that your glass is about 5 inches tall. :)

P.S.     for beer, good old Victorian pint glasses - with wheel engraved decoration and some slice cutting, work a treat.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 08:35:43 PM »
Thanks for that did not realise it was so old the height is 4 1/2 inches, it's 3 inches across the rim and 2 1/2 inches across the base, regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 04:10:40 PM »
Had to show you this Paul going to have a pint of real ale out of it tonight, test your theory out.
Chris Parry

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 05:43:06 PM »
very nice  -  appears the wheel engraving says...........'J. Hadfield  born 1839'  ............. but not entirely sure.           I'd suggest given to him/her some time later, possibly around 1860 - 70, although can't be certain, but the ferny decoration could be about that date  -  I'd assume that a pint beer glass wouldn't be given as a Christening present, but who knows..........
Does this ring well when flicked  -  and is there a rather large pontil depression?

Hope you enjoy the beer  -  I know some of the Board's drinkers are convinced it tastes better from an old glass. ;)

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 05:54:47 PM »
Hi,
           "I know some of the Board's drinkers are convinced it tastes better from an old glass."

It certainly does  ;D, and the older the better  ;)

Cheers and and happy New Year to all ,

Peter.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 05:59:14 PM »
Yes it sounds lovely and has a deep pontil and the seeds in the glass and the right colour. I think i'm getting the hang of it now, i picked that book up by Raymond Slack, what a good bloke listing all those pieces of glass, its help me id 6 things so far, thanks for your help.
Chris Parry

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 07:10:38 PM »
Slack's book is for pressed glass only (and one of the best), but I don't recall seeing any heavy balusters from c. 1700-10 in there ;) ;)

You might also like to try Geoffrey Wills'  "English & Irish Glass"  -  good mixture of all types of glass - mostly C18 and C18 material  -  and don't forget Tim Mills' recent book on 'Rummer's  -  one of the few 'readable' books that you'll see.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand