No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thrilled with this vase, aqua blue & green enamels bubbles, Nazeing / Elwell  (Read 1535 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Jesus Brasso was one of the glassmakers with the Ysart family, also from Spain.
He is known for making enormous and thouroughly OTT basket things with great loopy handles and loads of crimping (in a somewhat Spanish style).

The thing I saw was a pale blue massive basket with a big loopy clear glass crimped handle and crimped foot and red trailing around it. eeeeeek! (or, j-hesusbrasso!)

Neither of the Garys here are related to me, my family don't really "do" forums. :)
But they do know Millerart. :)

Are you in Scotland? There is a big exhibition on in Perth Museum right now
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
Well I shall look out for his things but I don't think I'll be collecting them!!
No, I'm not in Scotland but am "up North" (nearest city Manchester) - keep trying to persuade my other half to come to Perth with me but he doesn't seem too keen!
He's already asking when am I going to stop buying any more glass, but when I buy things to sell on after a while he says "Oh, I quite like that one" so maybe there's hope yet! ;)

Thank you,
Roberta
Roberta

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
That's a shame. I believe they're getting a load of the stuff normally kept hidden out, and it is well worth seeing.

I've been there several times - along with my family, we arranged a few private viewing sessions, and have seen everything. About 18 bits each visit, we had a lovely private room and white cotton gloves to wear and the lovely Fiona who was curator of the glass at the time, stayed with us and told us what she could - we were even allowed to photograph it.
I don't have access to the images, I'm afraid. :'(

Still, being near Manchester - you should be able to get to the Birmingham fairs! :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
I've just been reading through some of the old posts on here and discovered that it was not just Nazeing that have the bubbles with the "halo" effect but that some pieces are S & W. Does anyone know how to differentiate between the two?
I've always just assumed that all my pieces were Nazeing (and I've told a few others theirs were too!) - it seems a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. ;D
So - is your vase Nazeing or could it be S & W!!

Roberta
Roberta

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I find it nearly an impossible task to be honest.
And then there is the 'Nazeing for Elwell' and I think I've read there was also a  'Stevens and Williams for Elwell'.
I could  have this one wrong.  Because of the way the colour is laid on, the bubbles, and the odd distemper green colour  I believe it is Nazeing but it could be 'Nazeing for Elwell' (I find it hard to make that distinction as well).  But I don't think it's Stevens and Williams because of the way the colour is laid on, the bubbles I don't think are right and the pontil mark is not right.
So if it's not Nazeing then I don't think it is S&W either.  And if I'm wrong, please could Nigel pop in and correct me  :) 
Frankly, Nigel is the person I rely on  ;D
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
see my reply above
and I also have to admit to being a little suspicious now that another has turned up so quickly after I posted mine.
Maybe I am wrong about Nazeing?  Perhaps I needed to have put a question mark in the thread title?

Edited later to add -
ah, perhaps I was right to query Nazeing for Elwell possibly.  I've found this straight sided one and it has an Elwell label on it.  I think it is the same colours of the turquoise base glass with the distemper green swirled in.  It just doesn't seem to have the turquoise casing layer showing at the bottom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/art-of-glass/5985272379/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/art-of-glass/5985834308/in/photostream/

And this will teach me not to search on this site, using all relevant key words I can think of,  before I post -
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,33260.msg180809.html#msg180809
If you read from here (Nigel's post) and his next post describing the Elwell find, it seem my vase is possibly Nazeing for Elwell and should probably just be classed as Elwell for now (at least that is what I take out of it).

Also see this article where there is a footed bowl in I think the same decor as my vase, that is listed as Nazeings.  click on next page on the article and the Elwell collection is there.
http://www.ysartglass.com/Otherglass/Nazeing/NazeingG01.htm

Thanks for prompting me to delve further.
So the answer to your question is - I'm not the person to ask :)
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
It just doesn't seem to have the turquoise casing layer showing at the bottom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/art-of-glass/5985272379/in/photostream/

Looking at the first photo (at the top edge ) it looks to me like it does have that turquoise casing.

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
yes, it might just not be quite as thick at the base, looking at this side on one

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
Hi,
All my Nazeing bits are part of the Elwell range I think, though only the one is labelled. The glass does seem to vary somewhat, I thought that as it got later the glass seems to get thinner but maybe not!
 I always assumed that the glass would be the same be it Nazeing or Nazeing for Elwell  and that it was just the designs and the finishing that are different. Did they also use different colours too?
 Anyway, in future I will have to be aware of the S&W stuff that may, or may not have been made for them by Nazeing! Nigel on a post somewhere says it is different enough with the bubbles etc. to tell apart even though some of it was in with the Elwell find I believe.

I still think your vase is lovely, I must get round to posting my pink cloudy vase that I'm sure isn't Nazeing but could now be from one of many makers!

Roberta
Roberta

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand