No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tumbler  (Read 473 times)

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
Tumbler
« on: April 14, 2014, 03:15:23 PM »
Does anyone have any publication to aid in dating tumblers?

I recently picked up this tumbler. It's made of a metal which gives no luminescence under UV and it has very thick walls. The metal contains lots of bubbles and inclusions. The base shows lots of wear and is indented by 1.5cm. No pontil mark. The bowl rim has a slight bump where it has been cut off when blown. Height 11cm.

Continental? Age?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Tumbler
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 03:44:25 PM »
 Thick blown greyish barware might be Arques. 140 years old and still unsurpassed for everyday use.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Tumbler
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 07:51:57 PM »
presumably "Dansk Glas 1825-1925" by Larsen Riismoller & Schlüter, as mentioned by Ivo, would cover tumbler shapes such as this, although I believe written specifically for Danish material  -  but since I don't have the book then can't say for certain.
Doesn't seem to be anything similar specifically for U.K. glass - but shapes are fairly universal, so the above would help to date.

There is a small booklet by John A. Brooks 'Glass Tumblers 1700 - 1900' which is worth having, but you don't get very much info. in only 40 pages., but a good general introduction to tumblers, with a readable text  -  so many books simply have captions which are limited to dating and probable origin.
The Delomosne catalogue covering the March 2008 Loan exhibition 'Rare English Tumbers 1750 - 1830', is o.k. if you can afford to collect the very top draw pieces, but is restricted to English only.

Tumblers are great value for money and you get some good history, and they're almost endless in variety - some with exceptionally high quality engraving. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand