No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Looking for this kind of glassware... Leerdam Carex?  (Read 9291 times)

Offline sydamsterdam

• Members
Looking for this kind of glassware... Leerdam Carex?
« on: May 22, 2006, 06:05:32 PM »
Could anyone possibly help me? I have a set (incomplete) of wonderful glassware, but have been unlucky finding a) the brand and thus b) more pieces. It could be from the 30's or remake from the 50's.  I found lookalikes only, however never the exact same ones...

Here are the pix...

http://kunstantiek.2dehands.nl/markt/antiek/glaswerk-kristal/13255606-jaren-20-of-30-kristal.html?ses=1loplLeSGEX14eE

Hope anyone can help!

Sydney from Amsterdam

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 07:23:41 PM »
You can try a company in the United States which deals in stemware from
all over the world.

It is called Replacements Ltd. and it is located in Greensboro, North
Carolina. You can find their site on the net

They have thousands of stemware from all over the world and are consistered very professional.

Offline Jay

• Members
    • http://www.hogelandshoeve.be
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 10:39:23 PM »
This is 'Carex' by Andries Copier from 1935. A classic Leerdam design from the end of his 'best' period.

You can certainly find some of it around (it also comes in uranium ('ANNA') green.

Illustrated in many books including the standard reference Annette Kley Blekxtoon page 107.

You will probably find that a set of six liquer glasses is going to cost about 50 euros and a set of wine glasses at least 100 in the marketplace. (Dealers are asking a lot more!)

There's a list of relevant dealers on my website.
Dutch and Flemish 20th Century Factory Glass

Offline glasshypo

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 10:42:18 AM »
Sorry Jay, I disagree. Although there are similarities, this is not Carex. If you observe both photo's (book and link above) closely you will see these glasses are different.

I suggested Sydney to post his photo's here as his search in Holland and having contacted replacements failed.

These glasses seem definitely not Dutch.

Anyone other suggestions?

Glasshypo (saskia)

Offline sydamsterdam

• Members
carex
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 10:55:13 AM »
Hallo Saskia,

Met Jay heb ik inmiddels gemaild en hij heeft mij een bladzijde uit een catalogus gestuurd, waarop 'mijn' glas wel staat. Dat is Carex, maar... het kan zijn dat dit glas op de foto staat 'ter inspiratie' aangezien Copier door de fransman Jean Luce werd geïnspireerd. Ik kan je die foto wel sturen als je wilt. Het blijft moeilijk hoor!

Met groet,

Sydney

Offline glasshypo

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 11:05:41 AM »
Sydney,

Am surprised, but pleasantly.
Could it be that the Carex glasses where indeed inspired by the Frenchman Jean Luce (company??) design? Could this be the original than? Posting your information in English could perhaps give additional (if available) information from others.
It is a puzzle?

Sure would like to receive the photo. Always interested in glass and information.

Sorry Jay, you suggested once to join this forum, seems interesting already.

Offline sydamsterdam

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 11:31:53 AM »
Yeah, English is better... what's your e-mail address? I can't seem to find a way to find it... here...

Offline glasshypo

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 12:54:35 PM »
Jay,
The page you mentioned is of the newest Leerdam book? The 1879-1998 book page 110 shows Carex to be different from the pictures in the link above.

Offline Jay

• Members
    • http://www.hogelandshoeve.be
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 07:33:41 PM »
Hi all, and welcome glasshypo.

Sydney and I have tried to research this question and I think we can only clarify the question by referring to the literature.

There are three books which seem to agree exactly on what is 'Carex'.

They are credited here and the photograph is copyright of the named publisher. (Sorry I can't manage better copies of the images at this moment)

The first image comes from the 1937 Leerdam catalogue which shows the 'Carex' and 'Robur'.
http://www.hogelandshoeve.nl/gmb/carex%201937.jpg

I've tried to enlarge the photo of 'Carex' for a clearer view.
http://www.hogelandshoeve.nl/gmb/carex%201937b.jpg

The second image appears in 'Modern Glass in Nederland' by Titus Eliens. (Waanders/Gemeentemuseum Den Haag,2002 ISBN 9040086710)
http://www.hogelandshoeve.nl/gmb/carex%20te.jpg

The author also states '..the Carex drinks service, described in the company's designer glass catalogue of 1935/36 as a service for everyday use, 'which is able to withstand a knock or two'. The service derives it's name from the square cut glass foot supporting the egg-shaped bowl of the glass. The design of the foot is odd to say the least, because the shape suggests the use of a press-moulding technique. Copier is said to have been inspired to produce the design, which is not at all typical of his functional design philosophy, by a similar squarefooted glass created by the French Art Deco designer Jean Luce (1895-1964)'

This image is also reprinted in 'AD Copier & Lino Tagliapietra; Inspiration in Glass (Gemeente Museum Den Haag /Snoeck-Ducaju, 2000, ISBN 9 789053 493236)

There is a third image which clearly reflects the same service. Originally printed in 'AD Copier-Glasontwerper'by Reino Liefkes (Waanders/Prins Berhardfonds, 2002 ISBN 90-400-9602-3)
http://www.hogelandshoeve.nl/gmb/carex%20rl.JPG

I think we will all probably agree that these images are NOT the design which Sydney wants to have identified.

But then we discover that there IS a picture which (IMHO) showns Sydney's glass.

It appears on page 110 of the "Leerdam bible"; 'Leerdam Glass 1878-2003' by Annet van der Kley-Blekxtoon.
http://www.hogelandshoeve.nl/gmb/carex%20akb.jpg

There it is!!
On the extreme left, and clearly identified as Carex. (??)

Actually if you look carefully that last glass looks kinda out of place, the foot is disproportionately thicker and the rim is clearly flared (rather than the 'egg-shaped' bowl referred to and seen above).

Is it possible that there is a mis-identification in the standard reference work? Could the former director of the National Glass Museum have made a mistake?

I must say that on reflection I am inclined to think that this must be the case.

Obviously it remains a possibility that Sydney's glasses are from Leerdam and even from Copier, but the pattern name probably isn't Carex.
There is no reference to another sqaurefooted service in my Leerdam literature. (But then the literature is not always complete or correct)

I guess we need to ask what the design by Jean Luce looked like (Can anybody help??)
Dutch and Flemish 20th Century Factory Glass

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 07:38:45 PM »
Perhaps Annet van der Kley-Blekxtoon

Could that one piece have been the Luce piece included as homage. Or it really is Carex. The candle holder(?) design looks odd too, with the other pieces.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand