No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thomas Webb amber glass vase ? help please.  (Read 1659 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Thomas Webb amber glass vase ? help please.
« on: May 07, 2014, 07:38:43 PM »
This is another bit, found at the weekend and seems to be swelling the collection i  have of these, i think this is a vase as it has water staining to the inner rim but i'm not sure. It looks like Webbs conifer pattern but it's not signed, has anybody else any of these or know what there for. I have three more somewhere, i'm sure one of these is Royal Brierley Constance Spry without the frog, there all heavy thick lead crystal.

The amber one is 4 inches in height, 4 inches across the rim and 3 1/2 inches across the base.

regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: Thomas Webb amber glass vase ? help please.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 07:40:56 PM »
A front view of the taller ones.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 10:44:17 PM »
The one on the far left is Constance Spry, have four pieces just seven to find, ::) ;D ;D

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 06:59:27 AM »
Thanks for that Keith i had a look at your old post yesterday, very unusual thick glass the Constance Spry one, i wonder if many were sold and what the other seven look like?.
Chris Parry

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 03:00:33 PM »
No idea how many were made I've only ever seen the ones I have except on ebay where they go for silly money, ::) ;D

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 06:51:02 AM »
Just in case you did not know.  The Constance Spry range was designed for Floral Art - not Florists.  The idea was that the stems would be made relatively invisible as that is considered undesirable in Floral Art.  Constance Spry was a famous Floral Artist.  My wife was a Floral Artist and I bought these two for her to use.

Just a note they were made by Brierley NOT Royal Brierley who were a different firm.  See below -  the comments may be somewhat out of date.

Ross

Brierley Crystal
Brierley Hill Crystal was established in 1913 and is probably the longest private family owned crystal brand in the UK that are still manufacturing British crystal today.  When we acquired Staffordshire Crystal the design flare and historical skills of Brierley Hill Crystal were made available to supply the demands of Staffordshire Crystals corporate customers for sports trophies, decanters and inscribed table glassware.

Royal Brierley Crystal
A rich heritage spanning 300 years and 15 generations has made Royal Brierley the most prestigious name in English lead crystal. The quality and craftsmanship associated with this famous name have long been recognised by the unique distinction of two Royal Warrants of appointment as the Royal British glassmakers.  Principally, the company has grown under the guidance of three families - the De Henzels, Honeybornes and latterly, the Silvers.  It was during Joseph Silver's period of control, that the company leased the Moor Lane Glasshouse at Briar Lea Hill.  His daughters married William Stevens and Samuel Cox-Williams who took control of the business in 1847.  The company became known as the Stevens and Williams Glassworks.  Over the years, the company has attracted the brightest and best of creative artists and craftsmen; their skill and the beauty of the crystal they have created are appreciated throughout the world.  Men of the stature of John Northwood, his eldest son Harry, Joshua Hodgetts, Joseph Keller, James Hill, Frank Schreibner and W.O. Bowen have all made their contributing mark and this fine heritage continues to this very day with our current team of designers and craftsmen.
The collection includes items made famous under the Stevens & Williams brand which have been lovingly re-created by today's designers, as limited editions to inspire collectors of fine art world-wide.  Many of our creations have become quality museum pieces. The trading name Stevens and Williams was used until the1930's when the company became Royal Brierley Crystal to signify its appointment as the Royal British Glassmakers.  Our innovation and design skills have set Royal Brierley apart from other manufacturers. As a prime influencer in the development of glassmaking, we have always been able to attract the most creative of designers and skilled craftsmen.  Now part of the Dartington Crystal Group.

I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 04:43:03 PM »
Thanks for that Ross,I just assumed it was the same place, should have realised with the missing 'Royal' well does that mean I can keep them next to the S&W's and Royal Brierley pieces or do I have to start a new shelf?  ::) ;D ;D

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 08:29:44 PM »
I was in the Stuart crystal shop a couple of weeks ago, they now sell mostly Brierley Hill crystal, i'm pretty good with my patterns and there were glasses made by them in patterns similar to other companies and nothing was signed, the shop had a large selection of Krosno glass a bit bizarre really, now i only sell on crystal if it's signed or i'm 100% sure of the pattern and original manufacturer. Ive put some pics on here the first is Royal Brierley Fuschia similar to their Jessica and a Grapevine whiskey tumbler unsigned, Brierley Hill crystal pieces are beautifully made and heavy lead crystal, the shop assistant reckons they can not make the glasses fast enough and are struggling to train glass blowers.
Chris Parry

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 11:11:28 PM »
Chris, quick question, do they have any 'Rio' pattern pieces there I've been after a piece for a while and where exactly is the Stuart shop please, ;D ;D

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 06:32:20 AM »
It's to the right of the cone in this picture, i'm sure if you gave the glass house a call they would know.
http://www.redhouseglasscone.co.uk/

If you have no luck the man in this shop said he can cut any pattern on a blank, i'm not sure how much it would cost though, i was watching him cut a huge rose bowl last week amazing the thing weighed over 5 kg.

http://www.dawncrystal.co.uk/
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand