No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: For show, Colin Terris Ltd. Edn. weight  (Read 3389 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
For show, Colin Terris Ltd. Edn. weight
« on: August 30, 2014, 04:05:26 PM »
[Mod: This thread had meandered into a discussion about various Selkirk weights and that info has now been split out as a new thread. However, some of the initial chat about Selkirk weights is left in this thread to avoid a complicated split of topics.]

I don't know what came over me, I deliberately bought a paperweight, this one did not just sneak into the house while I wasn't looking. ;D
It's quite a beauty. Damson Floral Fountain ('82). Dreadful name though.

(The mark in the second image is not a scratch on the surface, just a bit of reflection.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
Re: For show, Colin Terris Ltd. Edn. weight
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 04:18:06 PM »
Hi Sue,

I really like this combination of colours. Lovely thing...

With regard to 'the sneaking in' of paperweights, it must be a Scottish thing; in my part of the world (Middle Earth), weights just appear inside the flat (at least this is what I tell my husband...) ;D

SophieB

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 04:19:02 PM »

Hi Sue.  For me, that Caithness design is one of the better early ones. There are other colours - peach, blue, red at least.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 04:31:43 PM »
Thanks, Sophie and Alan! :)

I think it was the deep purple against the green that "grabbed" me. Something "thistley" about it!
I can't quite imagine it in other colours.

It's fascinating, as the petals on the far side are always "lifted" by the optical effects of the dome. They are all completely horizontal, as can be (almost be) seen from my "sideways" pic. It jumps inbwtween looking completely full of colour and almost absent of it.

The only other Ltd Edn weight I've had in my hands is Carousel, which again, was something really quite special. It can be seen in Lustrousstone's gallery.

It has a white CG cane in the base, 158 /750; but only 268 were actually made, according to Scotland's Glass.

Does anybody know if that would mean 258 "Damson" ones, or would the other colours of the design be included?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 05:06:45 PM »
That is gorgeous. I think you mean Cartouche, not Carousel ( Is that the one you were trying to describe the other day?)
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1783

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 05:13:19 PM »
 :)

I did rather think it was your cup of tea, Christine.  :-*

Yes, I meant Cartouche, (CG)  :-[

But I did not mean Carousel (under the ageis of Selkirk) at any point, I don't think. One was Harlequin, which was on sale in the same shop as Damson Founrtain, but you've got that. I did check it and its name. It's the one I've only seen in the shop window in Dunkeld that I'm not sure about - but it is a glorious thing and "up your street".

SophieB - you need to inform your hubby that pwts are probably interdimensional time travellers, they simply appear from nowhere. ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 05:21:50 PM »
I don't think you mean Harlequin either, Pierrot? (I have got one of those)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 06:33:12 PM »
Don't you have Harlequin? I suppose it's very similar to Pierrot, I could easily have become confused.
The one in the Ferry is definitely Harlequin. I checked it's bottom and HARLEQUIN is written there.

It there a catalogue of Selkirk weights anywhere - or are you trying to collect the ones you like before something gets written about them and the prices shoot up into the realms of the unaffordable? ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 08:38:01 PM »
Hi Sue,

Thanks for the tip!! I will share that with my hubby (although as a physicist, he may doubt this explanation) ;)

By the way, Wuff was working on getting pictures of all LE Selkirk weights on Scotlandsglass. He had already digitised the pictures of the catalogues he owns. However, I am not sure how far he got with this.

Also, I collect Selkirk weights (both traditional and abstract) in a BIG way (I have around 100 of them but I have quite a few on my wish list still - no 'Ebony' for instance). May be we should keep the secret of these beauties a little longer... ;D

SophieB

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 08:53:58 PM »
So, Sophie, he's a sensible physicist then? Subscribes to "loop" (or pretzel) theory rather than string theory? ;)
I certainly do. ;D

(I do not reckon "other dimensions" exist, as they would have to under string theory. Nature has this weird tendency to do things the easiest way, which is not always what is expected - it finds ways around. Every single cell in your body can strip an individual electon off a molecule and keep it off. How easy is it for folk to be able to do that in a lab?  ;) )

You'll just have to resort to the old; "What? That old thing? It's been there for years. How come you didn't notice it before?"  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand