No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness/Selkirk Glass  (Read 4944 times)

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Re: Caithness/Selkirk Glass
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 10:16:37 AM »
What other types of paperweight do you collect?
All ;D
The largest group is Scottish - Caithness, Perthshire, Selkirk, Strathearn, but also at least one from most of the other Scottish artists. Of these Allan Scott weights some are my own.

There are also quite at few examples from other European countries or many US artists and single (or few) "representatives" from other continents - some because I like them, some out of curiosity.

To come back to the question of "abstract" (or "inspired") weights: a series I quite like are Cosmic Bubbles from Sarah Peterson (2002). Attached are views of "Leopard Flower" - max. diameter 110 mm and weight close to 1.4 kg ... just to show that also unlimited editions can be quite appealing (at least to me).
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Rosie Beal

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweights
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 12:45:34 PM »
That is such a beautiful weight - I am not very good with taking photos for the computer- really do not know where to start as I have a number of lovely weights to show the forum - anyone able to help a "computer skilless individual" - LOL Rosie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 02:24:09 PM »
...- I am not very good with taking photos for the computer -...
Hello Rosie,
I feel one should clearly separate "taking photos" and "for the computer". The main advantages of digital cameras are 1) that you see the result immediately and (in general) can proceed with the images taken much more quickly (you don't wait to fill a roll of film, no waiting for developing and printing, ...) and 2) you have a digital image directly, which can be manipulated with software much more easily than in a conventional (analog) darkroom. Still (at least in my opinion) the first step of taking the image is the more important one! Obviously you need a decent camera with the possibility to focus at short distances - but other aspects are equally important, like using a suitable background (always better to avoid a messy background than to have to remove it afterwards), choosing appropriate lighting (I personally prefer natural lighting with some reflections, which bring glass "to life"), selecting the aperture (and in this way the distance range depicted in focus), .... all parameters which I would call "basic photographic skills". If you don't know how to take decent photographs, the computer won't be much help! Anyone feeling insecure I can only recommend to get some advice, could be evening classes or the local photographic society or possibly a friend who can be around to get started together and who can give some practical advice - depending what's available in your neighbourhood; if nothing is available nearby, there are books on it (don't rely on the camera manual, although they usually give some first insight as well). I am sure there is all sorts of advice on the internet as well, but cannot recommend anything, having never looked at this.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 02:01:08 PM »
HI Rosie,
I have know Allan Scott for about 25 years now and he has made a few special weights for us, here is a picture of one he made for my wife's 60th birthday called Fuschia Fairy, he wrote her name in lampwork in the base and included A & H canes too so a nice special weight for her
Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand