No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old gas station glass bowl - Need identification  (Read 468 times)

Offline arjones85

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • USA
Old gas station glass bowl - Need identification
« on: September 07, 2014, 01:30:26 AM »
Hi all,

I am looking for the larger version of the below bowl - it unfortunately got dropped this evening and so I am hoping to pick up a replacement for it!

I think these bowls came from Diamond Shamrock in the 70's. Searching for information on glassware that came from Diamond Shamrock is not yielding a whole lot.

There are no markings at all on the bowls. Here are some pictures to hopefully assist. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Old gas station glass bowl - Need identification
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 04:38:54 AM »
From what I've read Diamond Alkali which became Diamond Shamrock was founded in 1910 by three glass-making companies (Macbeth-Evans Glass Co. of Pittsburgh, C.L. Flaccus Glass Co. of Pittsburgh, and Hazel-Atlas Glass Co. of Wheeling, WV) with the purpose of manufacturing soda ash—a major raw material in glass production.  The new firm was incorporated on March 21, 1910 in West Virginia, with the company's headquarters established in Pittsburgh.  With a capitalization of $1.2 million, a soda ash plant was built in Painesville Township, Ohio. So Diamond Alkali/Shamrock didn't manufacture glass they just provided Soda Ash to Macbeth-Evans, Flaccus & Hazel Atlas so if your bowl is from the 1970s that narrows down the manufacturers to Macbeth-Evans or Hazel Atlas & in looking at older -pre-1960s production from both companies in Hazel-Marie Weatherman's book, well honestly either one could have made your bowl as both made virtually 100% utilitarian mass produced glassware. Unfortunalely both companies made probably well over 100 bowl designs so it will not be an easy search. I would try eBay using Macbeth-Evans large bowl then Hazel Atlas large bowl to try to find a possible match. All I can say is good luck.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand