No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another Schmetterling question for Pamela  (Read 11805 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Another Schmetterling question for Pamela
« on: June 02, 2006, 02:24:14 PM »
I really do love those butterfly ladies!  This little beauty flew over to join me today from France.  http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2151

I have to say she was a very dirty girl!    :shock: Quite the dirtiest piece of glass I have ever bought!   :roll: When I took her out of the box I was puzzled by the colour, as she looked as if she was part blue and part amber.   Of course, you can guess why.  She has clearly been a heavy smoker all her life!   :roll:  Well, she's had a thorough bath and she's given up the fags and is looking much better for it  :twisted:  :wink:

I have to say she's very pretty in blue!  You can see her face more clearly through the inside of the vase, and it seems to move and change shape as you move around her!   :shock:  Also, from outside she looks as if she is looking modestly down, but from the inside she appears to be lifting her arms and her face as if to the sun!  :shock:  :D

Here's my question:  This lady, unlike my amber and (uranium) green versions, is part frosted and part clear.  Her body and dress are frosted, and her wings and the base (apart from the train of the dress) are clear.   Now, do I remember Pamela saying this was an indication of an older version, or is it just a characteristic of the colour?  

And does anybody know how many different colours these were made in?  I think I only need a pink one to complete the 'set'  :lol:  Please don't tell me there were more!   :roll:  :wink:
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Sklounion

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 09:01:37 PM »
Hi Leni,
This is a bad week-end to catch Pamela, there's a major pressed glass meet in Hamburg, these next four days!!!
regards,
Marcus

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 09:44:03 PM »
Thanks, Marcus.  I have emailed Pamela, but yes, I expect she is busy just now  :oops:  :roll:  

Nice to get a response - any response - though   :twisted: Thanks again  :wink:
Leni

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 10:28:06 PM »
Hi Leni,

I normally try to contain myself with comments, so that I am not the cause of a thread being sent to the cafe, but this time I just have to comment.

She is absolutely beautiful :mrgreen::mrgreen:Congratulations :!:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 05:04:10 AM »
Aha!  :D  I did a bit of searching and found the thread I thought I remembered!   :roll:  

Pamela said, in answer to someone else's question:
Fact is that all Walther glass I have been able to buy from UK or elsewhere is matt finished and should be 50/60ies production. Only Walther glass bought locally (and it is very few Crying or Very sad ) is shiny or at least partly shiny
Best proof for this is my Schmetterling vase in pink and green:
pink : probably pre-WWII
http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/vasen/00851.html
green: most certainly after WWII
http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/vasen/00851.html

And then referred to
I do hope the experts like Mr. Mauerhoff will join us in June and give more details on production of pre and after war

Great!  :D  So now I just have to wait, and hope that the expert, Mr Mauerhoff, will be arriving soon (it being June and all!  :roll:  :wink: ) and that more information on Walther will be forthcoming!  

And it's a lesson to me to do my own searching, rather than just asking if anyone remembers the thread   :oops:   :oops:  :oops:
Leni

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 07:54:01 AM »
I endorse the comments about your vase, Leni. It's a true beauty. Wonderful in every way. Congratulations.

With regard to the satin (frosted) effect, I have asked a similar question before too. I have also written the following observation on the board twice.
I have satin (frosted) effect items, sourced in the UK, that I can only see in 1930s catalogues from Walther - they are a Marina centerpiece and a Nuremberg (Tango) basket.

Hopefully this puzzling query will be sorted out soon.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 09:08:44 PM »
Happy Whitsun to all of you lovely contributors here!
Leni, the following is just frustratiing:

Mr. Mauerhoff (one of the last living people who worked with Walther and others there) did not appear.
He, answering my questions then by mail and letter leaves everything mysterious to me still.

I'll have to sort that out in the days to come - with some more discussion between Mauerhoff and me regarding
STRICH - Ätzung
and
TAUCH - Ätzung

(Ätzung = etching)

Kindly give me some more days - I return to your and my favourite Schmetterling later  :wink:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 09:45:14 PM »
Thank you, Pamela  :D  

I'm sorry Mr Mauerhoff didn't turn up!   :(   I didn't know he had actually worked at Walther!  Is he quite elderly?   I hope he is able to answer your questions (and ours!) :shock:

I hope that in all other ways your meeting went well   :D
Leni

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 03:44:00 PM »
I've worked through my Walther catalogues, Leni, and I believe there were four colours for the Schmetterling vase. In the 1936 catalogue the colours listed were: rose, goldgelb (which I think is your amber), grun (I am guessing this is your vaseline) and blau (blue). So, I think you are absolutely correct when you say that you only need the pink.

It's a stunning vase - Della couldn't have put it better in her message above. You are incredibly lucky to have such lovely items. As I said above - congratulations.

I'm sure Pamela will be able to add to (and confirm or otherwise) my info.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 04:07:39 PM »
Thanks Glen  :D  I'm waiting to hear from Pamela when (if :shock: ) Mr Maerhoff gets in touch with further info, particularly on the 'all-over frosted' v 'frosted and clear' issue!   :?

Meanwhile, if anyone sees a pink Schemtterling .....    Preferably a frosted and clear version of course, just in case  :wink:
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand