No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Heinrich Hoffmann vases -- but not glass  (Read 3950 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: Heinrich Hoffmann vases -- but not glass
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 03:05:11 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to reply, Sue and Ivo.  So resin (and kitsch) it is.  :)

Too bad none of my pieces retained at least a partial label, though. 

Thank you again!
Anik

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 03:09:43 PM »
Any falsification of size or material defines kitsch - I shouldn't worry about it. It certainly is no condemnation.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 03:31:56 PM »
Oh Ivo, I'm perfectly fine with the vases being defined/described as kitsch.   ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 04:26:41 PM »
hello Anik :)          there wasn't the slightest intention to slight you - my apologies  -  I thought perhaps Keith got the smiley cos he's prettier than me ;) ;)

I remember some time back a discussion which originated because new members thought that the non-use of names by some of the more knowledgeable members appeared unfriendly  -  so I thought some of that cleverness might rub off on me if I joined the elite club  -  obviously it hasn't worked :'( ;)

Just for interest  -  according to the Truitt's, the original 'Ingrid' series (c. 1935) was produced in blue, which was called (lapis) and green which was called jade, although I agree that the visual appearance does make you think of the mineral malachite.
Many of the designs were influenced by deco fashion, and entire walls were fabricated from tiles and fireplaces made in the stuff.            These authors also comment that since its inception the Ingrid style has continued to be produced, 'often from the original moulds'  -  although post war pieces are said to be close approximations of the originals.         
Perhaps some one out there is using a later mould.

The word I thought was missing isn't  -  it's part of your caption  -   and I was far from suggesting it was inappropriate.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 05:01:22 PM »

There is an image of one of the new Desna Uranium grapes and nudes vases in Christine's (Lustrousstone's) Gallery. It was found in Wroclaw.

http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?album=12&pid=1793#top_display_media

Frankly, if something is used as an inspiration/take-off to produce something kitsch, I'd have thought that was a considerable tribute to the design in the first place.
"Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery."  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2014, 06:09:09 PM »
hello Anik :)          there wasn't the slightest intention to slight you - my apologies  -  I thought perhaps Keith got the smiley cos he's prettier than me ;) ;)

I remember some time back a discussion which originated because new members thought that the non-use of names by some of the more knowledgeable members appeared unfriendly  -  so I thought some of that cleverness might rub off on me if I joined the elite club  -  obviously it hasn't worked :'( ;)

Just for interest  -  according to the Truitt's, the original 'Ingrid' series (c. 1935) was produced in blue, which was called (lapis) and green which was called jade, although I agree that the visual appearance does make you think of the mineral malachite.
Many of the designs were influenced by deco fashion, and entire walls were fabricated from tiles and fireplaces made in the stuff.            These authors also comment that since its inception the Ingrid style has continued to be produced, 'often from the original moulds'  -  although post war pieces are said to be close approximations of the originals.         
Perhaps some one out there is using a later mould.

The word I thought was missing isn't  -  it's part of your caption  -   and I was far from suggesting it was inappropriate.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2014, 06:13:21 PM »
I'm hopeless at this, I only wanted to quote part of Pauls post but the whole lot came out !
 Paul...Pretty is not a word I would use in describing me and I'd be surprised if there was much difference in our ages, well not much :o ;D ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2014, 08:38:51 PM »
probably true Keith................  but just think...   you and I are like vintage wines - we've matured with age and gained a reputation of such quality  -  but today, apparently, it was you that made a woman feel special, so I have some catching up to do. ;)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2014, 10:49:22 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2014, 08:13:02 AM »
you may have forgotten Keith, but...............   if you post and then realize a correction is needed, just hit the Modify button and your post will be retrieved and can be changed in whatever way you wish.            After revising your comments hit the Save button and your amended words are then re-posted.       A very useful facility.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand