No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby tankard, dated 1887, marked PATENT 6937.  (Read 2164 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Sowerby tankard, dated 1887, marked PATENT 6937.
« on: October 28, 2014, 09:47:06 PM »
A glass tankard etched ESTHER / GREENWOOD / A /PRESENT /FROM / SALTAIRE / EXHIBITION / 1887. Stands just over 4 inches tall.

The inside base is marked with a Sowerby peacock head trademark above an embossed  PATENT / 6937 mark.

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by Simon Warden).

The Royal Yorkshire Jubilee Saltaire Exhibition 1887 took place to mark Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee Year.

The tankard (or ‘can’ as such items appear in Sowerby pattern books) would seem to be similar to that shown as pattern number 1826 on page 14 of pattern book XI (1885).

John George Sowerby, of Gateshead-On-Tyne, filed Patent 6,937 (dated 8 June 1885) relating to “…a new and useful Improvement in Moulds for Moulding Articles of Glass or other Ware …whereby I am enabled to make a handled glass mug or pitcher or similar article without any joints or mould-marks appearing upon its surface”; a detailed specification followed.

A patent for the same process was subsequently taken out in the US in 1887 (No. 357,867, dated February 15, 1887) – see:
http://www.google.com/patents/US357867

I have seen several items marked [Sowerby peacock head trademark] | PATENT, but this is the first I have come across one that specifically indicates the patent number.

Does anyone have other Sowerby items to show that are marked with a specific Patent number?

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Sowerby tankard, dated 1887, marked PATENT 6937.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 10:08:15 PM »
regret I'm unable to help with your request Fred  -  but just thought I'd add to your very interesting words that it appears the decoration and text have been sand blasted - a process that was fairly commonplace with Sowerby.            Presumably through a stencil.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand