No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bohemian/Silesian...or French?  (Read 1209 times)

Offline LesBeatiques

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • U.S.
    • The Paperweight Collection
Bohemian/Silesian...or French?
« on: November 14, 2014, 01:54:45 AM »
Hello all,

I've been flipping through the Von Brackel book trying to find a cane match and have only found very similar canes no exact matches. The glass has a slight smokiness that becomes quite apparent when set next to a Baccarat or Clichy. I'm leaning towards Bohemian or Silesian any other options?

It's a monster at 3-1/2" in diameter & 2-5/8" tall, rests on a concave polished base and has many exciting features.

Many thanks,
Eric

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Bohemian/Silesian...or French?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 06:50:29 AM »

Hi. I don't think it is Bohemian or Silesian. It may be St Mandé - they often have smokey grey glass, and the outer blue and white canes are of their style.

Another - and more likely - possibility is that it is from one of the unknown French and/or Belgian factories that I mentioned in the 'Doorknobs from France' thread recently, and about which articles will appear in 2016.  The image below shows a large paperweight of mine with torsade and flat polished base (rather like Val St Lambert) that contains some canes that are very similar to examples in your paperweight, not so much in colour but in respect of the detail of the structures and elements that make them, and how they are arranged.  It is also a five circle rondello design around a central group. For example, the red canes around the circle at 3 o'clock in mine are very like the red cane at the centre of the blue circle in yours, and the structure (not colour) of the canes making the white circle in yours are very like the yellowish cane in mine at 4 o'clock. I think there is some link between the two weights.  Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline LesBeatiques

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • U.S.
    • The Paperweight Collection
Re: Bohemian/Silesian...or French?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 10:36:54 PM »
Hi Alan,

Thanks as always for your assistance. Your weight does seem some how related to mine and I will be interested to see the upcoming articles regarding the doorknobs because they too seem to have similar cane structures to both these weights.

Regards,
Eric

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand