No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help ID this pretty lamp base  (Read 1089 times)

Offline rachnathanking

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass
    • UK
Please help ID this pretty lamp base
« on: June 13, 2015, 09:07:34 PM »
Hi,

I have two of these gorgeous lamp bases. Could they be Murano?

They stand 6" high and the base is 3.25" diameter. This is the glass section only.

Thanks,

Rachael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: Please help ID this pretty lamp base
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 11:13:33 PM »
They look 60's to me, i have a lamp base that was wired the same, really dangerous, similar housing and Salviati i think, blew the trip switch in our house, so i rewired it. I'll take a pick in the morning.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 02:57:16 PM »
Over here at that size we would call them vanity lamps. I belive they are Murano & if I had seen them here I would have bought them in a an instant. Not ones one would see very often if at all quite honestly. Well done.

Offline rachnathanking

• Members
    • Glass
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 08:10:46 PM »
Thank you both for your knowledgeable replies.

I will be putting these on a well known internet auction site this evening without wires. These will be put on as Murano.

Thank you again!

Rach

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 08:32:10 PM »
If you have not experienced any problems with them working I would not cut the existing wiring as it looks to be fairly modern coated wiring. You will not reach as many buyers if they require a rewire as one never knowns if the rewire will be easy to do without the possibility of damaging the glass. Leave well enough alone & this is coming from a lamp guy.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 09:40:07 PM »
That speaker wire mains cable has not been used over here for years, the last thing i had with it was a bakelite 50's Smiths clock and another lamp which i could not find, here is another i rewired and picked up an almost identical fitting from the local hardware shop brand new.
Chris Parry

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 12:51:00 AM »
Well maybe you are correct but it didn't look to be speaker wire to me. Of course neither of us can tell because we don't have it in out hands. Auction is up & running with a bid already. Just wish they were over here for auction instead of England...that shuts me out as shipping is sky high & you never know if it will arrive in one piece from across the pond so I never bid outside the U.S.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 07:09:55 AM »
Your right about postage, it's genuinely very high to post to America and i have had to pay high postage myself for items from America, it's worth it for the rarity what ever the postal cost, listing by auction is best 10 days and finishing on a Saturday or Sunday night that way you get max exposure and most people who don't work shifts like me are off work, when i buy from Ebay i'm 9 times out of 10 outbid on a weekend.

My theory is that due to high Internet auction exposure glass is as cheap as it ever has been as old items are surfacing all the time, (but then it's really cheap here even in antique shops), glass due to it's very nature gets damaged broken and chucked and i reckon there is only a limited supply of really good stuff which will dry up eventually as people like myself hoard it away.

The wire is not actual speaker wire it looks like it, not sure what it's official name is.
Chris Parry

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 09:23:46 AM »
'Figure of Eight' is what I always called it, but I seem to remember it's not advisable to use with mains electricity.

Just wondering, but are the lamp stands made by Barovier & Toso? They were always fond of using aventurine and it resembles the Cordonato d'Ora range.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline rachnathanking

• Members
    • Glass
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 04:45:10 PM »
Hi Ohio!

If you are really interested in bidding on these for yourself, I can assure these will be wrapped extremely well. We always go mad on bubble wrap, newspaper and polystyrene chips. We do have amazing feedback for our packaging.

I'm sure we can work something out on the postage  ;)

-----

Thank you all for your input

Rach

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand