No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Turkish covered cup and saucer - maybe Turkish or Bohemian - not Harrach  (Read 1108 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
It's a sherbert cup I believe like my other one.
I think it's 2nd half 19th century. 
I don't think it's Harrach Malachit at all.
I don't think it's Harrach full stop although the decor has some similarities.

It has the first layer of turquoise glass rolled in white opaque glass patches.  That layer appears to have masses of black specks in it as though it was a deliberate decor of white patches with black specks in turquoise gather.
The second layer is thicker and is clear turquoise glass.  I know this because the plate is done in the same way and so the first layer which is on the top facing side of the saucer as you look at it, makes the saucer look slightly paler than the cup and cover because the cup and cover have the second layer of thicker plain turquoise glass on the outside.

The gilding is straight onto the glass and is very worn.  It would have had lots of bright gilded bands.  There is one around the rim of the cup just below where the lid sits.  Then a couple around the body of the cup and around the lid and the knob and the saucer.  The knob was gilded at the very top with some kind of pointy pattern I think as one part is still remaining.
Rims are cut with a bevel on the outside edge but not the inside on all pieces.  Rims were all gilded over the cut surface.

Handle applied bottom to top and is very clear turquoise glass, as is the outer casing layer,so the black bits in the white patches are a deliberate decor.
I don't think the knob is applied.  The lid is blown into a mould as the knob is hollow and you can see a very tiny opening from the inside of the lid.

The base of the cup is curious.  It is indented completely but not randomly pushed in, it is mould blown I think and designed like that.
Lots of wear on the cup and the saucer bases.

From what I read, some Italians went over to Turkey to help with glass production in the last century?  It does remind me more of Italian glass somehow, than Bohemian, although the design of the decor is quite Bohemian and the design of the piece is Turkish.  So all in all I think it might be a piece of 19th century Turkish glass to be honest.
(could be completely wrong and it might be 1960s  ;D)

Harrach Malachit was launched around 1855/1860 I think.
This is a similar effect.  But I'm sure it is not Harrach as their Malachit/Malachite did not have black bits in. But is also reminiscent of the early 1900's spatter Bohemian pieces in some ways.  As well as reminding me of Italian glass because of the clear Turquoise I think.
However I think it probably dates to around second half of 19th.  19th century  versions of these glass covered cups are fairly scarce to come by (new ones from Pasabahce are equally scarce and were limited editions) and  because of the design.  Remarkable that it has survived with cup saucer and lid, although all have very tiny chips around them in places.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Turkish covered cup and saucer - maybe Turkish or Bohemian - not Harrach
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 11:30:37 AM »
more pics

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 12:19:37 PM »
The largest supplier to the Ottoman empire was still VSL so I'd look to Belgium.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 12:23:31 PM »
oooh really.  thanks Ivo.  But does the decor and the cut rims fit with that?
Somehow I can see that the design might to be honest and the clear turquoise handle and overlay. What time period - do you agree 2nd half 19th?
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 01:33:25 PM »
Reminds me of these too, Kralik Soft Crackle but they lack the black specks and the extra casing of yours.

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 01:42:45 PM »
oh yes, definitely - I'd been wracking my brains trying to think where I'd seen that white crackle effect before  ::)
It also has that bubbly effect in the white and the surface of the plate is odd and full of bubbles but the base of the plate isn't.

It is possible that it's blown out crackle as none of the patches appear to overlap each other - which I guess they would if it were picked up on the marver as it would be quite difficult to avoid.
So yes,
I'm looking at the lid rim now and you can see internal turquoise, then the very thin layer of white then a thicker layer of external turquoise.  I was lookin at the rim of the cup before and it's been gilded so not possible to see the detail of the layers.

Thanks!
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 03:13:53 PM »
Came across this Islamic blue glass vase - know nothing about Islamic glass but wouldn't think crackle would be their thing even 19th century.

But it's the same effect and cased in the Turquoise
http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/an-islamic-blue-glass-vase-late-19th-4092179-details.aspx?pos=3&intObjectID=4092179&sid=&page=5&lid=1

Link to some Turkish glass here
http://www.pasabahcemagazalari.com/butik/geleneksel-camlar/beykoz-camlari/beykoz-kirmizi-opal-sekerlik/u-48128-83-182
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 10:28:19 PM »
The tin cracle was used extensively by Leerdam - that is where you may have seen it.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 11:32:41 PM »
ah, a very interesting 'napkin ring vase' thing here.
http://www.rubylane.com/item/543410-6372-A/Glass-Napkin-Ring-Bud-Vase-Malachite

all the pieces I've looked at that are Harrach Malachit are in the book, bar two - one on this board which is blue with enamelling on and one online which is white.  I've not noticed any small black specks in any of them.  There is one enormous vase that is grey Malachit that was at an exhibition and I'd have thought I'd have seen black specks on that because of the colour but didn't see any.

However... this piece is green Malachit or so it seems and there are very close ups to view, and it appears to have black specks in it.  Nowhere near the amount of black specks mine has but they definitely seem to be there.  The cut gilded edge of the 'napkin holder' part looks very similar as well to the rim of my cup.

So, is it 1860 ish Harrach Malachit then?  wow, that would be amazing for it to turn out to be something I thought it might be then definitely thought it was not.

btw I did work out the correct Turkish term and managed to find about 6/7 early Bohemian versions and very exquisite they are - the price is also eye watering, so I wont be enlarging my collection anytime soon  ;D
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand