No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: please help me ID Morano-like teardrop vase  (Read 654 times)

Offline sgt panties

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • USA
please help me ID Morano-like teardrop vase
« on: October 22, 2015, 09:11:32 PM »
Family lore has it that my brother bought this vase as a gift to my mom around 1970 when he was attending a highfalutin design school in LA.  I tried to match the label to any in the database but nothing similar was found.

Attached is a picture of what's left of the label.

It is certainly not a perfect piece.  I thought it needed cleaning, and did clean it, however when I sight down the length in front of a bright light I can see patches where the glass is yes perfectly smooth, but others where it looks like some abrasive buffing was done with a relatively course grit  --and then just left that way.  There are also some small bumps --felt first, observed after, and a small "dent" which must have been made when the glass was still hot.

Was the artist having a bad day or are those imperfections common with this type of work?

Any help in identifying this work would be appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline sgt panties

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • USA
Re: please help me ID Morano-like teardrop vase
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 09:32:32 PM »
OK, more detail:

The overall height is 11 inches.

The largest diameter is 2.875 inches.

The cut at the top is smooth, no striations.  The inner edge forms an ellipse.   There are small chips on the inner edge where that edge is acute, which is about 70% of the ellipse.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: please help me ID Morano-like teardrop vase
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 09:25:48 AM »
I think you will find that is a retailers stock label . an oldish one at that . Murano . ;)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand