No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: is this Murano glass  (Read 923 times)

Offline eshearm

• Members
    • uk
is this Murano glass
« on: July 25, 2016, 06:02:49 PM »
Hi,

I am sure this may be east european glass, but think it possibly might be Murano.  It has small gold dust within the clear handle that has not picked up in the photo.  What are peoples thoughts and opinions please. Thanks Emma

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: is this Murano glass
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 06:51:34 PM »
I could be totally wrong but I have searched for Murano pieces with pincered feet for years as I have a similar piece, and never found one that was identified as Murano glass to be honest.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline eshearm

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 08:41:00 AM »
Morning!!

I agree which is why i wanted to check in on this forum. But strangley I have come across a very similar vase this morning that is signed, although the signature is not entirely clear but does appear to possibly say fratell. am I allowed to screen shot off ebay and place on here or do I need to place the link for people to look at themselves?

E

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 06:12:57 PM »
Hi eshearm, welcome to the GMB.

Thanks for asking about linking to / copying from eBay.

Please always use links when referring to auction listings and their images (and any other third party image). The Board has strict guidelines on use of copyrighted images, and unless something is explicitly stated as "in the public domain" we take it to mean it is not for public re-use.

As for the vase, I am thinking it could be Murano from Livio Campanella. The handles and the way the millefiori (murrhine) decor is set look ok for that company. I have a vase that shows a basically similar handle and similar spaced working of the millefiori - and the millefiori can still be matched to illustration "murrina 14" in the company website (which does not show past ranges, or anything with crimp feet - and I am not sure whether the murrina matching my vase was by Campanella or made by Effetre). My vase: http://www.yobunny.org.uk/glassgallery/displayimage.php?pos=-12063 See also various discussions about Campanella in the GMB.

KevinH

Offline eshearm

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 07:13:34 AM »
Thank you for that will take a look today. here is the link for the signed vase i mentioned.  What do you guys think to this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Millefiori-Venetian-Murano-Glass-FRATELLI-Two-Handle-Vase-/391435453176?hash=item5b235f02f8:g:950AAOSwV-RXEpv6

Kindests

E

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 08:48:05 AM »
The one in the ebay link is very different in many ways: the cane set up, the crimp on the feet, the use of gold and the different handle position for a start

Offline eshearm

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 09:04:30 AM »
Mine has gold through it as I said but not picked up in my pictures, especially through the handle, the application of the feet are very similar the shape of the vase itself are very similar the thickness of the handles are very similar, there are as many similarities as there are differences, and the fact I and others never find murano glass like this on crimped feet is unusual in itself.

E

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 11:25:00 PM »
Interesting - this sale calls it Toso but I couldn't see any signature.  It also has the pincered feet.
I've only seen those on what I thought might be Gordiola glass vases in a similar shape with handles but no millefiori (until the signed one you linked to, that is)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302071134378?clk_rvr_id=1094703575156&rmvSB=true

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand