No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Colours available at Mdina in 1976.........  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Patrick

• Members
Colours available at Mdina in 1976.........
« on: August 15, 2016, 03:57:10 PM »
Hi,

In a current topic by WhatHo asking about White glass http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,63272.0.html there has been a mention of Tiger and Tortoiseshell and also a fish by Boffo has been discussed using White and other colours.

I have found this vase for sale dated 1976 and it clearly shows colours available at that time. https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/275178370

I will contact the seller and ask if his image can be saved and included in this topic.

Cheers,

Patrick.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Colours available at Mdina in 1976.........
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 04:35:18 PM »
That doesn't have white in it, the bit that looks like it might be in the photos is just a reflection.
Tortoiseshell and Tiger never contain white enamels, any creamy colour that does appear is from silver salts.

I've got a few cubes. No white enamel at all and none in a Tiger cube either. :)

I'm sure white and pink (and possibly even the orange and yellow) did not appear until after '75.

It wasn't just white that suddenly appeared. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 06:32:38 PM »
I'm with Sue. The white/cream is unreacted silver chloride. I've just checked my cube

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 09:40:49 PM »
I have had some very interesting info from Jim Munnelly about early colours (pre Aug 76).

They had 4 colours molten in pots, 2 small ones for Dark Blue and Purple, a medium size for Light Blue and a large for clear for casing. The only 'cold colour' available (ie frit or other larger pieces of un-melted glass which was applied to a gather of glass) was 'traffic red' used for the 'Ming' range. "this looks black under the light blue casing.  Or brown against the light."

Also very interestingly the frigger fish with their unusual colours of white enamel, yellow and other colours, Jim thinks the Boffo's brought them from Whitefriars.
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 10:18:45 PM »
Hi,

I should have made it more clear that this thread was about general colours in 1976 rather than discussing the possibility of white.......

It is good to have the information from Jim Munnelly and I have had permission to show the vase from the Etsy link. The yellows must be chemically induced, something that I had not previously realized.  :)

Cheers,

Patrick.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 06:37:28 AM »
The yellow comes from silver chloride, which starts off as a white powder, so not a cold colour rather a chemical reaction caused the heat

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 08:53:35 AM »
The traffic red would have been for Tortoiseshell (and any other bits containing brown). Silver nitrate turned red into brown. I wouldn't have been Ming. Ming is blue over yellow.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand