No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tiny signed glass bowl. ID = Michael Ruh, London period  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Sueearnshaw

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • deco glass
    • UK
Tiny signed glass bowl. ID = Michael Ruh, London period
« on: August 23, 2016, 03:00:57 PM »
I've found this amazing tiny glass bowl in a colour that looks like uranium glass but it isn't. The bowl is 5.5cm diameter and the glass is completely clear of bubbles or flaws, the very top edge is clear so I'm not sure if it's cased or flashed glass. The base is cut flat but not polished, the glass runs down to a point inside, which gives an interesting optical illusion. It's signed on 2 sides of the base but I can't make it out at all. Anyone any ideas?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Tiny signed glass bowl
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 09:06:28 PM »
the second photo might read 'London' - still trying to think who might sign ... ... London though.

Not sure about the first - it looks as though it is cased over clear which might be why the base isn't polished shiny - if it was it would show as as clear and probably is nicer with a ground rather than polished foot/base.
It would be nice to see photos against a white background with a side on profile pic :)

m

Offline Sueearnshaw

• Members
    • deco glass
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 09:34:11 PM »
It's a very tactile little thing, not sure what you would use it for. It does look like London now you've said that but it seems an odd thing to sign. Here's the pic as requested, it is definitely yellow/green on the inside and clear on the outside.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 09:55:20 PM »
salt?  oil dip?
The writing is difficult to decipher but is lovely writing if that makes sense?  confident signing.
I keep thinking it reads Allister Malcolm but that's because it reminds me of his writing and it looks like it starts with an A and might have a dot for an i.  And because of that I can't 'see' anything else now.
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 06:21:32 AM »
Could be Alistair Malcolm; he does sign on the side and doesn't polish his bottoms

Offline Sueearnshaw

• Members
    • deco glass
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 07:23:52 AM »
I've looked him up and I can see the signature is similar but this seems a very plain piece for his work. I see he has a website so I could ask him the question.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 07:48:43 AM »
I have a tiny (63mm) piece in clear cased smoke with the same signatures - equally illegible. The best I can do is "Hinterland"and "London". Unless it is Hadeland, of course.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 09:28:35 AM »
Ivo's definitely doesn't look like Alistair Malcolm

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 10:52:48 AM »
 presumably this is Allister's  sig - mmm, they don't look so much like it do they.
http://www.allistermalcolm.com/
And this is a good clear one and it doesn't look the same no

http://jpegbay.com/gallery/005373866-.html#3

Who would sign .... ....London - I can only think of Peter Layton's studio where that might be applicable. Anywhere else in London - Adam Aaronson?  but that's not his signature.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 11:00:02 AM »
Ah - possibly Michael Ruh glass
Putting the signature side by side to the sign on his page it appears very similar.
ivo's definitely reads Michael as the first name and I think the ruh has just gone a bit different on the first r but I'm pretty sure they are both Michael Ruh's glass.

He may well have signed 'London' as it appears he made glass in various areas
http://www.michaelruh.com/about/

colours used for his Hive jars
http://www.michaelruh.com/shop/hive-jar

but couldn't spot a salt on his page - however ... I think it is entirely possible they were a commissioned range or an older range perhaps for a specific outlet looking at his page.

Lots of his little bowls here but they do appear to have polished bases
http://the189.com/design/handmade-glass-vessels-by-michael-ruh-studio/

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand