No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unmarked wave-ribbed or ripple-sided amethyst crystal bowl - Thomas Webb?  (Read 1885 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Not my usual sort of thing, I know, but I saw this wavy-ribbed or ripple-sided amethyst crystal bowl in a local charity shop yesterday for the princely sum of £4.49 so, working on the basis of 'if you like it and you can afford it, then buy it!, here it is now for ID.

The waves or ripples are sort of 4-sided when seen from above. The bowl stands 11.5cm tall, with a top rim diameter of 21cm and a foot rim diameter of 10.7cm. Ground and polished pontil mark (somewhat off centre) to the underside of the foot. Nice clear crystal 'ping' when the bowl is flicked with a fingernail. No identfying marks.

I though I remembered seeing this sort of wavy or ripple effect to the bowls of Thomas Webb Gay  Glass pieces (but in greens or ambers), and I have found some marked (1935-1949 acid etched mark) Thomas Webb 'wavy' or 'ripply' amethyst crystal pieces online, but none in this shape.

I see too, from
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,55148.msg312498.html#msg312498
that Thomas Webb produced a wavy 'Cascade' pattern. Is this a possibility for my bowl?

Is this, then, a Thomas Webb bowl, please? if so, what date range, and what exactly should I call the design?

If it's not a Thomas Webb bowl, any idea who the manufacturer might be,  please?

Fred.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
the shape and colour look to be o.k. Fred, but I'm having some trouble with the extent, or lack of, a good 'Wave' - however, I think it stands a good chance of being T/Webb.

have a look here and see what you think......   http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,56272.msg318853.html#msg318853  -  the first post.              It's true to say that much of Webb's production, of this type of patterned glass, was unmarked.

I think Keith is more your man here, he has many shelves devoted to T/Webb's wave pattern. ;)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
 :o ....and I've only got a couple of shelves ! I'd agree with Paul, I have a Webb 'bullseye' in amber the same shape as your piece Fred  ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
meant to say Fred that 'Wave' is one of T/Webb's very early C20 pattern inventions  -  according to Charles Hajdamach it dates to 1908, although I'm not so sure we've had anything on the GMB that old, with this pattern.                 Most of the time the pieces probably date to somewhere between the two world wars and later, although I wouldn't like to say when this once ceased.
Some of Webb's surface patterns do go back a long way, with rather less than half shown in C.H.'s book being C19.
Un-Registered designs/patterns for non-pressed material, such as this, mean we have to accept far wider production dates than the Registered pressed designs we're accustomed to......    if pushed I expect the best you could do for your bowl is to say made some time in the 1930 - 40 period, or even a tad later. :)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Thank you, Paul and Keith, for your informative and affirmative replies.

I'm quite content to think now that my £4.49 was well spent.

Fred.

Offline fattystratty1

• Members
Hi Fred, what a nice vase, thought T Webb as soon as I saw it . I found this one in a chatty shop 2 weeks ago and Paid £2.99 for it, but for a extra £2 I would of prefered yours lol

Offline fattystratty1

• Members
This one  ;D

Offline keith

• Members
Hello, do you mind if I ask if your vase is marked as I've not seen a Webb piece with this design, it reminds me of Richardson's work  ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
it looks as tho it will glow enough to 'burn the curtains down' as Bernard used to say :) - are we right?

Keith - it looks very much like this one (taken from the Board's 'Library of Webb Colours'), but I now don't have any T/Webb and can't remember if it was marked or not    ....     http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=56272.0;attach=151847;image       what do you think?

Offline fattystratty1

• Members
Hi Paul , mine is marked Webb at the bottom , and your right it does have a lovely glow to it under UV . I believe it is part of the "gay" range and by Richardson .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand