No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb Coronation Series colours  (Read 1242 times)

Offline ahremck

• Members
Webb Coronation Series colours
« on: March 16, 2017, 09:48:13 AM »
I have two types of Webb Coronation(1936/7 era) glassware.  Clear/Amber and Clear/Black.   A dealer recollected recently that he had seen a Clear/Red version.  I am hoping someone might be able to verify its existence and even more hopefully have photos of it.  Here are decanters and goblets I already own.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Webb Coronation Series colours
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 12:30:34 PM »
Nice. That amber is Sunshine amber; I can see it glowing green from here

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 02:38:00 PM »
I agree with Christine, these are nice pieces and I'd imagine uncommon  -  I've seen shed loads of T/Webb in a variety of colors/colour combinations, but never any Coronation pieces, and assume they must be scarce     ............    I know you've asked this question about 'red' before  -  can only assume we ignored you due to lack of knowledge :)
Colours I'm aware of that are known to accompany clear glass (spread across a variety of designs such as 'Cameo Fleur' and Flair etc.) are..........   greens, black, amethyst/purple, yellow/amber, uranium, lime (possibly experimental), blue  -  but have to say Ross that I have never seen clear and red, and unable to find this combination in the books.   
I notice that in the two Christie's catalogues for the Parkington Collection sale in the late 1990s, the 'Cameo Fleur' pieces that I would probably have assumed to be a sort of red, are in fact catalogued as 'pink'............     and Michael Parkington was very keen on T/Webb.         Maybe the absence of a T/Webb red in his collection is a form of confirmation that the factory didn't in fact produce the colour.             Nigel Benson is probably the person most likely to know more on this subject  -  outside of these pink 'Cameo Fleur' pieces I not sure that I've seen even this pink combined with clear, so even that seems scarce.
Anyway, sorry we've failed you again, at least for the time being ;D

I understand that T/Webb did make a real black, which is apparently difficult to produce - so much of what appears to be black is really a very dark amethyst - assume your pieces are black.   

P.S.    coming back to your Coronation pieces, and bearing in mind the fact that the brothers were both crowned in the same year - am I just being picky to query which of them your pieces are celebrating - or was it both ;D ;D

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 02:04:22 AM »
The Black is indeed an Opaque Black - no hint of light coming through Paul. 

You in fact are incorrect about both brothers having a Coronation - only George the 6th actually had a Coronation - Edward the 8th did not.  Nevertheless it got me considering that each colour might have been meant for a different Coronation.  I would assume that the Amber would have been for Edward's - that did not occur.  The Black which is far rarer would perhaps have been for George.

The Amber/Clear is not common but is certainly not rare here in Australia.  I could have had 5 decanters by now in matching sets.   The Black/Clear has taken nearly 30 years to find a decanter and 3 goblets.  I assume Webb "dumped" them to Australia when Edward's resignation became apparent and that his coronation would not happen.

Here are the types I have of each range.

Ross

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 03:30:40 AM »
Ross, I hope you don't mind me adding your own thoughts stated elsewhere to your comments above. For my own understanding of this current thread, I wondered why you considered the amber "webb coronation" to be intended for Edward VIII.

A search of the Board revealed the answer for me ... In another thread you said:
... Most people attribute it to the George the 6th Coronation in 1937.  However, it is quite uncommon in England, but not here, and I suspect it may have been for Edward the 8th's Coronation.  That did not happen so perhaps Webb shipped it off to the other side of the world.

So, I guess it is the "uncommon in England" part that is important. A Google search of images for "webb coronation" does seem to focus on items in Australia.

If your idea is shown to be true we will need to mark up a couple of other much earlier threads to point to the confirmation.
KevinH

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 04:05:08 AM »
As I said Kevin the Amber version is not rare.  I bought my first 4 goblets in 1996 and since then I have bought or seen 6 decanters and many glasses and tumblers plus the two jugs I own.  I first realised that they are not common in the UK when I posted a picture a while back and was fascinated to be told it had not been seen by various people who were long-term GMB members.

The second style(Black/Clear) I knew existed probably 35 years ago as I had bought 2 tumblers, one Amber & one Black, in a job lot.  It was not until a bit over a year ago that I saw the decanter and 3 Goblets of the Black type for sale and was fortunate enough to buy them.

Attached are the touch mark on a Goblet & the crown on an Amber Decanter stopper.  I wonder if the actual crown has significance?

Ross

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 04:40:51 AM »
In a 2008 thread Webb England Coronation Glasses? there was discussion about dating, based on a label and also the style of cut, being possibly 1953 or maybe 1936 or maybe some other date.

However, Bernard had pointed out in a response that the Crown on the mark was the Tudor crown, which applied to monarchs prior to Elizabeth II. Hence his conclusion that the item in question was for the coronation of George VI.

KevinH

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 08:33:48 AM »
Ross, thanks for the correction re 'both Coronations' :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand