No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery Uranium Vase  (Read 1150 times)

Offline yoyo

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
Mystery Uranium Vase
« on: June 23, 2017, 09:46:43 PM »
Marked on base.

Fleur de lis with 2 lions.

The only letters I can make out are KES

Thanks for looking.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline yoyo

• Members
    • United States
Re: Mystery Uranium Vase
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 03:00:16 PM »
Could not figure out how to update my post.  Here are 2 photos taken with a black light. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 03:14:38 PM »
 :)
Hello and welcome. Thanks for posting your pics directly to the board and getting the thumbnails all right.

This doesn't look like uranium glass I'm afraid, that would give a much brighter glow.
I think your vase contains a lot of manganese, used as a decolourant, and that glows faintly, like this does.
I'm also afraid I don't know what it is, but there might be some folk here who do, the gilding looks rather good. You'll just have to be a little paitent until the right person comes along.
Your pics are a little difficult to make out, the background gets in the way a bit, a plain one is better, and we need to see the base of the vase properly too.
Even if it looks as if there is nothing there, we can tell a lot from the sort of "nothing" it is.
I cannot see the mark you refer to.
If it is etched, it can be brought up with a little talcum powder for photography.

You can modify a post for an hour, after that, you need to reply to yourself. You can post 4 images per reply.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 03:19:26 PM »
I could be wrong, but your 'green' has a very manganese look to it, and not the green of uranium.  Manganese was/is added to the batch to help with decolourizing glass   -  I forgot now but think it neutralizes some of the iron discolouring. If you use the Board's search facility for manganese, you'll see that we've spilled gallons of ink on the subject over the years. 

sorry - crossed with Sue's  -  please disregard

Offline yoyo

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 04:09:43 PM »
Thank you for the replies!  I also thought it could be manganese but I could not figure out a way to add manganese to the title.  Ill try to take a better picture today and also of the base. 
Yolanda

Offline yoyo

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 04:24:39 PM »
here are some additional pictures.

the mark on the base is within the blue tape.

Thank you.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 04:55:00 PM »
what's wrong with typing the word?? ;D            Although the body of the post can be edited for a short while, I've a feeling the title can't be amended/altered once it's been inserted  -  but no reason you can't draw attention, in an additional post, to later thoughts.

Offline yoyo

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 10:09:37 PM »
Paul, I will definitely do this on future posts.

This may already be in the Help section for resizing photos, but, if someone does not want to deal with resizing, just change the settings on your camera to the lowest possible quality and they can be uploaded directly to this site.   

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 08:03:02 AM »
hello Yolanda ..........           taking and uploading quality photos is something that gives problems frequently, and I've been one of the least techie savvy people here, so understand difficulties.
There may be some loss of meaning on my part here, but imho adjusting camera to 'lowest possible quality' would not be the answer if uploading were the only problem  -  loss of quality is just what it says - and it doesn't help.
Some forums allow permanent editing, after posting, although not a facility here, but does have usefulness  -  and another facility I've always thought worth its weight in gold is to have visible access to all pix, in a thread, whilst typing additional replies - this is standard on some States forums       So often I find the need for subsequent views of a piece of glass, whilst typing, and this seems not possible - of course I could be the muppet here, and perhaps it can be done :-\

Assuming you have photo library on your pc, then pix can be edited and resized using progs. such as Picasa and IrfanView  -  both of which are totally free downloads - so worth importing.            Although I've never read the words, I'm sure the Board's advice on re-sizing etc., are adequate and explain all that's needed.

Small backstamps and similar marks that ordinarily don't photograph on a scale large enough to see clearly, can in fact be enlarged to a legible size by placing a magnifying lens or loupe between the camera and subject  -  adjusting distance for optimum sharpness.         It takes practice, but the results can be amazing.
Creating good pix needs the right sort of light - not just brightness, which blurs, but angled/raking light that doesn't enter the lens directly, and illuminates a surface and what is on the surface by creating contrast.
Quality pix don't come easily, and take practice, but it's so easy with digital  -  imagine having to go to the chemist to have your pix developed from a roll film :o

Offline yoyo

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 05:09:57 PM »
Paul, oh gosh, another newbie mistake...I'll get better! 
Yolanda

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand