No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness ring for show.  (Read 3560 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Caithness ring for show.
« on: March 23, 2018, 02:11:39 PM »
Assay mark for Birmingham, date latter for 1976, other marks are CG 30, first I've seen, doesn't really suit me but Linda likes it  ;D ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Caithness ring for show.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 03:15:06 PM »
 :) Is there anything in the hallmark to indicate the silver artist's name?
The setting looks quite complex and intersting. :)

In the '70s in Edinburgh, there was a big surgence of silver artists working, making and selling exclusive designs, many of whom are now well known and collectable in their own rights. The main shop selling this sort of thing was an exclusive sort of place you had to ring the doorbell to be allowed in, Ian Clarkson's, in the road leading down to the Grassmarket from the top of the Mound.
It looks to be quite consistent with the sort of stuff he sold in the '70s. (my mother bought a lot)
I've just checked, the shop is still there. Just called Clarkson's now.
Many of the artists did get their own hallmark.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 05:40:13 PM »
Afraid not Sue just the lion mark for silver the anchor for Brum , a date letter and CG 30, looked on the Scotlish glass site there are a couple similar.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 06:25:10 PM »
It was quite expensive to register a personal hall mark, not all of the artists did.
It just looks very similar to the quite large and complex designs that were the height of fashion at that time, in Scotland. It might be worth tracking down the designer.
It isn't beyond any stretch of the imagination to think that Caithness would have tried to find a local artist who could produce a fashionable/exclusive design for their jewellery.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 11:29:32 PM »
The ring design is, I believe, the same as shown in the Scotland's Glass site at this page and described as "filigree band".

Keith, is that the same page you looked at?

That page shows that the ring was made in at least 1972, 1973 and 1977 so a 1976 example fits well.

Also, within the general Ysartglass site, the page on Paul Ysart and Caithnees Jewellery gives some details of designer and makers. And since there is a known example for 1972, it is probably reasonable to think that the "filigree band" ring was designed by Colin Terris and made by Lucia Polanski, but perhaps later rings were made elsewhere.

With a date of 1976, it is possible that the millefiori element was made by Peter Holmes. But I am not sure of that.
KevinH

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 12:04:37 AM »
Thanks again Sue, yes Kevin that's the page I saw, will have to keep a look out for more of the same  ;D ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 11:23:52 AM »
 :-[ 8) Well, Colin Terris would be certainly be a name to attach to the design if that is the case. I don't know enough to know the silversmith's name I'm afraid, but knowing it helps.
I really think this sort of thing needs to be looked at as a whole, and the silver work credited properly as well as the glass, in the context of the expensive and unique jewellery fashions in Scotland, in the '70s.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 02:33:42 PM »
Probably the only piece of glass that won't be on the shelf, instead it will be used as intended, not by me that is  ::) ;D ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 07:11:25 PM »
Just don't let Linda twig that such rings can be easily be converted into practical knuckledusters. ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 11:52:08 PM »
 :o ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum