No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina green button top vase.  (Read 3965 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Mdina green button top vase.
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2018, 01:32:17 PM »
I see what you mean about the base wear on the tricorn bowl.  ;D
The colour is different to the green of the side stripe, but I'd not argue about the attribution. Is the glass itself clear? (rather than opaque).
I did find myself wondering if it came from a batch of bottle cullet glass they had that was simply a good bluey-green colour?  :)

I've got a small green MDG cut-ice lollipop, (uncut, just marvered into shape) and I've taken some pics to show the colour, because it's not all mixed up with other colours - there is some silver nitrate in it, it just doesn't interact with the clear green too much.
When I got it out for photographing it just now, I found the base is a little odd. One bit is it is the normal batutto style, but at an angle to that, there is a plain flat bit.
Honestly, really, properly flat. I've taken pics.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2018, 07:46:31 AM »
That pattern I was wittering on about is present just not well defined...

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2018, 12:10:54 PM »
 :) Yes. The true, clear green colour shows up through it very well, it's not all affected by the silver salts.
The shape (cut-ice lollipop) helps confirm that MDG did make several Mdina shapes too. And half its bottom is actually flat, not batutto-ed.
I have no doubts Andy's side stripe is Maltese and from the correct time period.  :)
I really want to get my mitts on it to see if it's a silver reaction with the hot clear casing over teal that gives rise to the green, it's perfectly possible, given the electric blue bit.
But it would be a very unusual way for the glass to have reacted and for it to be all over would make it really incredibly special.
The only other possibilty is that it's a hitherto unseen shape of MDG with a non-batutto-ed bottom.
Either would be very special indeed and it is one or t'other. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2018, 08:27:40 PM »
The only other possibility is that it's a hitherto unseen shape of MDG with a non-batutto-ed bottom.

I would like to show this MDG lollipop that is 'ice cut'.............the faces are fully 'battuto' but the base has none and is flat .......

Cheers,

Patrick.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand