No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: round-bottomed, flat-sided, wide-mouth jar  (Read 2075 times)

Offline jonjobriggs

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
round-bottomed, flat-sided, wide-mouth jar
« on: August 26, 2018, 01:16:07 PM »
I'm a complete novice, only found this forum today, so apols if this question is naive.

I have two round-bottomed, flat-sided, wide-mouth jars (or, possibly, stoppers?) embosseed with regd No 784837.  Which, I think, dates them to the 1930s. Industrial-looking not ornate.

They came out of dredgings from a canal in Shropshire 30 years ago, close to a former fertiliser factory.

They have threaded openings for a lid but are round bottomed and flat-sided, so can't stand up unless upside-down. It is, perhaps, possible they are actually some sort of stopper for a larger vessel. But as the openings are about 4 inches across it would have to be a very much bigger vessel.

Any clues or thoughts welcome, thanks.

There is an image on imgur at https://imgur.com/aAo6301

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: round-bottomed, flat-sided, wide-mouth jar
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 08:46:34 AM »
Welcome to the GMB.

RD 784837 was registered by Jack L. Barnett Limited, 18 Basinghall Street, (Boar Lane End), Leeds, on 15 July 1933.

I think that you are probably correct in that you have 2 jars.

Barnett registered several designs for glass objects, including those in the attached photos below.

Barnett does not appear to have been a glass manufacturer, so it is likely that the actual manufacture of the glassware was contracted out elsewhere to their designs.

Fred.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jonjobriggs

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 10:28:42 AM »
Many thanks for the reply and info on Barnetts. A quick google suggests their products were marketed as Barnook?

The examples you posted of their products are interesting - much more ornate than the jars I have look. 

Exactly what the jars I have were for is intriguing - they can only lie on their sides or stand upsidedown so must have had a specific use. Very thick glass, so I assume industrial, but perhaps something more domestic, like, perhaps, a lamp-fitting, though that seems unlikely. 

I'm adding that picture direct (I think) to this posting to make it more accessible than before.

Offline jonjobriggs

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 10:38:22 AM »
Barnett's advert in Pottery Gazette and Glass Trade Review August 1935 (online at http://www.glass-study.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=134:-pggtr-1935-august-part-1-various&catid=26&Itemid=25) does show Barnetts did make some very utilitarian products - fruit preserving jars etc

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 01:03:29 PM »
Thank you for your informative reply.

May I have your permission, please, to add your a copy of your image to the GMB RD photo reference database ? - with appropriate credit, of course.

Fred.

Offline jonjobriggs

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 05:16:19 PM »
Yes, please do

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 07:12:22 PM »
Thank you.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 08:02:37 PM »
What interesting items, I wonder if they were meant to screw on top of something - though other than a lamp or a level indicator I can't think what...
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 11:03:13 AM »
I wondered if they might be laboratory glass, they are sort of petri dish shaped.  ;D
They'd contain had a broth of some sort for growing bacteria, and they would be stackable in a subsequent oven or fridge for the correct growth temperature.

But theys don't really look right for that. The opening is too big and the glass is too thick and I can't see how you'd sterilise the mouths of openings in a flame, when using a screw top.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline jonjobriggs

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 09:19:04 PM »
I wondered if they might be laboratory glass, they are sort of petri dish shaped.  ;D
They'd contain had a broth of some sort for growing bacteria, and they would be stackable in a subsequent oven or fridge for the correct growth temperature.

But theys don't really look right for that. The opening is too big and the glass is too thick and I can't see how you'd sterilise the mouths of openings in a flame, when using a screw top.

Maybe, but as you say they are probably too big for that sort of lab use.  A standard petri dish (these days) is about 90mm across, and about 15mm deep.  These jars are 150mm across and 60 to 70mm flat side to flat side (they taper slightly) and the screw thread opening is about 100mm.

I've always assumed these are something to do with industrial chemistry - the only clue I've ever had is that the (demolished) fertiliser factory (aka the Bone Works) that adjoined the canal where these were found may have used acid in the manufacturing process, presumably stored in glass vessels.  For acid that would have been some type of big carboy I'd guess, not these peculiar jars, but maybe these were for some other chemical.

Or they may have no links to the adjoining factory at all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand