No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Has anyone been able to identify if these vases are bohemian or stourbridge?  (Read 2302 times)

Offline eshearm

• Members
    • uk
I know these vases have been mistaken for Monart in recent years bu am wondering if a maker has now been identified, or if its still a mystery?

Kindests E

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
We still do not know who made the pieces that are often mistaken for Monart, what Frank calls "celophane" glass.  ;D
But we do now know they were Romanian.
But I don't think this is that either - there is only one colour, normally there would be a orangey amber as well as green.
Are there controlled bubbles in it, or is that reflections from your tablecloth?
Im afraid I can't really see the glass itself, terribly well.  ???
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline eshearm

• Members
    • uk
Hi, no bubbles, although surface is slightly crackled, same colouring as Franks website, with the red aubergine colour around the rim.  I must admit I agree I don’t think Romanian and I have always thought Stourbridge to be the most likely. They are not that common so I do wonder if it was something they t4ied in an attempt to compete with Monart? If it was bohemian I would expect to see lots of them as they would have mass produced them. What do you think x

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Is it made from coloured splodges suspended in clear glass?
I can't even make that out.
When you know what the glass looks like in the first place, it's easier to see it correctly in photos, when all you have is the photo, things can get a bit confused.
It's not seen around as much as it used to be and I'm happy with the Romanian attribution, a piece has been found with a label on.
If it was Stourbridge, I'm sure I'd have seen a lot more of it than I have.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline eshearm

• Members
    • uk
Hi I will add a couple of more close up pictures for you, Do you have the link for the Romanian labelled ones be great to see. Thanks

Offline eshearm

• Members
    • uk
https://www.ysartglass.com/Ysart/NotYsart.htm

the link above is of the same coloured vase, I have had these for quite some time waiting to see what is discovered as its such a fantatsic hunk of glass :D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 ;D That's much better. It looks like "celophane" glass now. 8)
Is there not a link to an image of the Romanian label in Scotland's Glass?
I don't have a link myself, but it was on one of the blue and yellow combed pieces with Mica in, which are assumed to be by the same maker.
It turned up quite a while ago.
I'm not really up in this area or age, of glass, I just have a sort of passing interest because I know folk who collect Ysart.
And I got taken in by one of the comed mica pieces myself. ::)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Sue that's fab info, I hadn't seen that re the mica and combed ones being Romanian.
In the recesses of my memory I'd thought  a mica combed version lamp had been found with a Czech glass label  (found by Craig maybe?  I can't remember now).

I have a very large amber combed vase that might be from that range I guess - Christine has a similar version.  I wonder if they are Romanian as well?
I also have another piece that appears to have so many similarities with cellophane glass shape that I think it really could come from a similar source so that's v. intriguing.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Sue I forgot I'd  found this marked version (Czechoslovakia)

this thread is the one where I linked a 'cellophane' vase that was for sale on Ruby Lane that is marked (on the glass) Czechoslovakia
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,65587.msg367384.html#msg367384

There is also a link here to a labelled bowl - different design pattern but similar ish cellophane effect (see close up of label where cellophane colour effect in the glass can be seen - from CMS Reich

https://pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/pk-2011-4w-vejrostova-reich-1940.pdf

m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
You've just reminded me of another lamp that belongs in this category - it's round and pink, with mica and a quilted pattern in blue and blue rigaree.
I may have a photo somewhere.
I wish I could remember. It was some time ago.
Having tried to follow all your links, m, (I get confuddled!  :-* ) they are all mica-less pieces attributed to being Czech. I wonder if they were the same makers after all.
The info. about the Romanian label stuck. It was not what I had expected.
Look at your reaction now! You've dived on it going "wow".  ;D
I did the same.

I've been digging around an old thread and founf a link to the lamp base with mica.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-9446
This thread has a lot of discussion in it which might help. Or hinder!

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,38037.40.html

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand