No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blenko/Kosta Boda/Iitala? And what are they for?  (Read 1648 times)

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
Blenko/Kosta Boda/Iitala? And what are they for?
« on: January 19, 2019, 12:41:42 PM »
The mushroom is about 4.75" high and the spindle is about 4.5" high. Both have smooth tops and textured bodies, but the bottom of the spindle is smooth as is the bottom of the mushroom cap. The cavity in the mushroom is about 3.75" deep and in the spindle about 3.5" deep.

Both Blenko and Kosta Boda made mushroom shaped candle holders and Finnish maker Iittala has similar spindle candle holders in their Festivo line designed by Timo Sarpeneva in the 1960s, but none I can find by any maker have such a deep cavity. All of the others I can find have a cavity just deep enough to accommodate a candle securely. The cavities in these are so deep that I wonder if they might be dual purpose candle holders and bud vases. That being said, there is not much room for a significant amount of water in either cavity.

There is a surprising similarity between some of Blenko and Kosta Boda's products, but neither have anything with this deep cavity. Does anyone know who made these? I am grouping them together because I have the same questions about both and they may be by the same maker. They were found separately, the mushroom recently and the spindle a few years ago. I also recently found a couple of heavy UFO shaped crystal candle holders (not shown) that remind me of these, though they are only about an inch thick.
Glass mutt. I collect anything I like & find interesting & is of reasonable quality.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Blenko/Kosta Boda/Iitalia? And what are they for?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 01:31:20 PM »
There are "fake" Sarpaneva Festivo candlesticks out there, and I suspect you've found one of those.
The moulding is not nearly so crisp, the details are more muted, it's far more symmetrical, the glass itself is more yellow. I don't know if we know who made the lookalikes.
I don't know anything about your other bit, which, while I understand why you posted both together given the nature of your question, it would really be best to have each in their own thread. I don't think they're related at all.
The discussions can get confusing when there is more than one item illustrated.

Don't worry about it! :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
Re: Blenko/Kosta Boda/Iitalia? And what are they for?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 03:20:32 PM »
Thanks! The spindle is of noticeably poorer quality than the mushroom, much lighter glass and poor clarity. I've seen more of these around, but none with the deep cavity. Agree they are knock offs.

The mushroom is heavier and better made. It has been a while since I have searched for images of this one and just found some very similar ones with a Japan label that the seller on Etsy says are from the 1960s. The Esty shrooms are only 3.5" high, though.

I am usually a proponent of one item per post/image, but just trying to kill two birds with one stone as these are not super interesting pieces.

Glass mutt. I collect anything I like & find interesting & is of reasonable quality.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Blenko/Kosta Boda/Iitala? And what are they for?
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 03:55:25 PM »
The images with the Japan label are presumably not yours? If so they will need to be removed from the board - our policy doesn't permit the posting of images that are copyright of others without their explicit consent.  You can post a link to the website where you found the images instead.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 03:58:07 PM »
 ;D
I find the mushroom ones much more interesting than the knock-off. I've not seen those around at all.
You've taught me something, I can knock-off for the rest of the day now. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 05:02:30 PM »
Thanks. Regarding the images, I'll contact the seller and see if they will give me permission to use them. I've found so many bad links on this web site, that I try to avoid using links whenever possible. Use of links really decreases the usefulness of the site for reference purposes.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 05:55:45 PM »
It's a legal matter for the board because of copyright.
We always prefer images which are owned by the person who posts them, and like them posted directly to the board, rather than hosted elsewhere, because images elsewhere do vanish.

But it is difficult when you need to illustrate something and don't have an example in your possession to show.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 06:12:49 PM »
Totally understand. I have a masters in library and information science, so understand copyright, fair use, etc. I sent the Etsy seller an email requesting permission to use their images. I also mentioned that I would include a link to their auction, which would benefit them. If they don't respond today, I'll remove the images. If they give permission, would the board want me to forward their email?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 06:45:24 PM »
A direct link to the sale would have been fine. :)
That way the copyright is still with the owner, and they get the bonus of a bit of advertising.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 07:02:01 PM »
Eventually,  though, it will just become another bad link. I have no issues with getting permission to use the images. The style of the label may some day aid in identifying the maker.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand