No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green footed bowl  (Read 1226 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Green footed bowl
« on: January 25, 2019, 02:35:31 PM »
Hi,this elegant,sweet bowl ?,is 13cm ht and 20 wd with a polished Pontil and good wear to the foot.The twisted stem makes me think Powell,but I've been down this road so often before !,it could be Scandinavian!?Any thoughts ?thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Green footed bowl
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 08:02:06 AM »
I think I've found it! and a new name for me,Simon Gate for Sandvik Orrefors 1917 to 1920.Not a classic sounding scandinavian name?,anyone know much about him.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 09:37:20 PM »
Swedish Wikipedia has a page on him (in Swedish!) here https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Gate which I ran through Google translator as the English Wikipedia doesn't have him. This was the result:

Simon Gate

Simon Gates art glass 1924

Sörängen's folk high school's dining room
Carl Oskar Simon Gate, born March 10, 1883 in Södra Fågelås parish, died May 11, 1945 in Hälleberga parish, was a Swedish glass artist, painter and designer. He was the brother of architect Jacob J: son Gate and father of Bengt Gate.

Content
1 Biography
Literature 2
3 References
4 Further reading
5 External links
Biography
Gate studied 1902-1905 at the Higher School of Art and then 1905-1909 at the Academy of Fine Arts. He first appeared as a portrait painter before turning to glass art. [1]

Simon Gate came to Orrefors glassworks in 1916. Before that, he was a book illustrator and portrait painter. Together with Edward Hald, who was employed one year later at Orrefors, he contributed to the company's first heyday. Simon Gate, the managing director Albert Ahlin and the master blower Knut Bergqvist experimented with over glass. Based on this technology, Knut Bergqvist created the summer of 1916 so-called Grail glass. From 1917, such gravel glasses were designed by Simon Gate in collaboration with Knut Bergqvist. Today, the gravel glass from Orrefors belongs to the most sought-after art glass pieces in Sweden and the world.

Together with Knut Bergqvist he also created the so-called The slate glass in dark green or brown colors, which were also not produced in series and which in recent years received a lot of attention in collectors / antique / art circles. Gate was also known for its magnificent engraving compositions from Orrefors. He decorated his urns, vases and trophies with feasts, dancing women and other life-giving motives. At the World Exhibition in Paris in 1925, his and Edward Hald's works got their international breakthrough and Orrefors's world reputation. The term "Swedish grace" was coined in England as the Swedish variant of art deco. The artists Gate and Hald, as well as the two Kosta-educated master brothers Knut and Gustav Bergqvist, in Orrefors became a creative melting pot that strongly contributed to the Swedish Glass Kingdom's world fame.

Among Gate's public works, mention should be made of mirrors and glass fixtures in Stockholm's Concert Hall and adornments in the vessel M / S Kungsholm (1928). Gate is represented at, among others, the National Museum [2] in Stockholm, Örebro County Museum [3] and Kalmar Art Museum [4].

At Sörängen's folk high school [5] in Nässjö there is a larger roof painting in the dining room depicting "the four seasons" which is a work by Gate performed in 1915. The dining room is therefore K-marked today.

Simon Gate is buried at Hälleberga cemetery. [6]

Literature
Simon Gate - Edward Hald, a portrayal of the people and the artists by A. Hald and E. Wettergren
Orrefors - One hundred years of Swedish glass art by K. Wickman
Love for glass - Agnes Hellner's collection of Orrefors glass and with memoirs by Agnes Hellner and by Knut Bergqvist.
The history of Swedish antiquities by Märta Holkers.
references
1^ Swedish reference book, Malmö 1932
2^ National Museum
3^ Örebro County Museum
4^ Kalmar Art Museum
5^ Sörängen's website Archived March 16, 2010 downloaded from the Wayback Machine.
6^ Gravar.se
Further reading
Steenberg, Elisa: Simon Gate in Swedish biographical dictionary (1964-1966)
External links
 Wikimedia Commons has media related to Simon Gate.

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 09:19:12 AM »
Thanks Anne,another interesting snippet of information I found was that Hald,the other designer who joined a bit after him,was a painter aswell and had trained with Matisse.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand