No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Georgian Sucrier/Sugar Bowl Maybe?? Amber/Naisea Alloa Glass??  (Read 920 times)

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
Purchased this little survivor recently it seem's to me to be a sugar bowl but wondered about the color its sort of amber not common for this period???c 1800??
I have also owned some Nailsea glass and Wrockwardine Wood glass which is local to me and wondered if it maybe a bottle type glass from one of these bottle glass producers maybe even Scotland Alloa wrorks... any views??
Dimensions
Height: 6 cm
Width: 10.5 cm

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
Re: Georgian Sucrier/Sugar Bowl Maybe?? Amber/Naisea Alloa Glass??
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 12:14:35 PM »
There seems to be very little research on this type of glass in England. Is the term "common glass" still in usage?

Your bowl does mimic pattern moulded lead glass examples  from the late 18th c.[usually diamond moulded] in size and basic shape . Although the flaring rim does not seem to be the norm. Most glass collections formed in America,  c. 1930-1950 have examples in blue lead glass, as they were thought to be American.
The one book I have that has some information on this type of glass in England has some photo's of pattern moulded hollow ware in " common glass' drawn from the Seddon glass Collection. Nothing in amber. Your attribution as to date, etc. is roughly correct in my opinion.

Extensive scholarship done on American versions from the first half of the 19th c. Made in bottle and window glass factories in the mid-west. most notably in Ohio [state].Widely practiced by competent immigrant English glass blowers.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
Re: Georgian Sucrier/Sugar Bowl Maybe?? Amber/Naisea Alloa Glass??
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 04:39:06 PM »
 :)
That's a super reply thank you very much for sharing your thought's cagney  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand