No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: "Rustic" Green bubble glass flask or flattened amphora  (Read 753 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
"Rustic" Green bubble glass flask or flattened amphora
« on: July 05, 2019, 01:30:59 PM »
I've had a lot of fun researching this piece, but now I need help to pull it all together.

19cm high x 16cm dia.  Fairly chunky, but not overly heavy......my scales are now with my repairman.  Pushed in base and partially rough pontil mark.  Full of bubbles of varying sizes.  Loads of inclusions, and some sort of residue around the rim.  Despite the rough appearance, both the inside and outside surfaces are fairly smooth to the touch.

First thought was Hartley Wood, due to the base, but even though some of their pieces are "wonky", none that I found were as roughly made.

Then Biot, which was a fairly good match to the colour but, again, not so much in terms of inclusions/finish, and most of the pieces I found were signed.

Finally got to use the word "Pulegoso" in a search, but the pieces I found appear more opaque.  Learnt a bit about Napoleone Martinuzzi…… very wishful thinking...… but I did notice that the handles on this piece aren't even, so lopsided handles does not necessarily mean it's rubbish!  Unfortunately, no picture of the base, or side view.

https://www.cambiaste.com/fr/vente-0315-1/napoleone-martinuzzi-murano-1930-ca-a-flask-.asp?action=reset

I really don't think this is a 1930's piece.  There is no wear visible on the base, but the base is not flat and it only seems to rest on a couple of centimeters each side - it actually rocks.  Did the cocoa trick to check where the wear should be (this is also really useful if you are suspicious about wear marks on a piece - just put a thin layer of powder on a flat surface and place the piece on top, press down firmly and when you lift it you can see exactly where the wear marks should be).  Photo below.  With all the weight on such a small area, I would have expected at least some wear marks.

The other reason I think it is more likely going to be a recycled glass, made yesterday, homage to a roman flattened flask is that there is absolutley no grime around the applied handles, and on one side there is a small hole where the upper part of the bottom of the handle joins the body, and it looks pristine inside.

Lots of photos to try and give as much info as possible.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
Re: "Rustic" Green bubble glass flask or flattened amphora
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 01:32:10 PM »
More pics
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 04:31:13 PM »
Have you considered Beranek?  :)
Pulegoso plus dinky, neat, little handles, plus a good feel?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 07:55:44 PM »
I know what you mean, but the Pulegoso glass appears more opaque, and the Beranek pieces that I've seen are a bit more "arty" and look slightly more "refined".  Even one with what appear to be inclusions......but could be dirt collected in broken bubbles on the surface......still manages to look fairly presentable.  I also haven't seen anything like this shade of green in the Beranek pulegoso pieces.

Will keep digging.

Cat 😺

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand