No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 1800s old highball (pjolter) crystal glasses and ask for manufacturer + country?  (Read 1615 times)

Offline xlarge

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glas and keramik
    • Norway
I try to post with two pics (119 and 118kb  and two http link to places where my item also can be shown. What can be the reason for CleanTalks message (which stop me from post)?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: CleanTalk: *** Forbidden. Message seems to be spam. ***
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 04:37:05 PM »
Hi xlarge, welcome to the Board.

I know nothing about Clean Talk other than it is some sort of plugin spam filler. But our technical wizard, Anne, may know something. She will hopefully drop in soon and have some information.

In the meantime, please try adding a Reply to your thread with just one of the url entries. That might give us a clue.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline xlarge

• Members
    • glas and keramik
    • Norway
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 05:21:22 PM »
Thanks KevinH

Good idea. Here is one of my http.

https://digitaltmuseum.no/011025161237/glass

If it work I'll try one of the pics also.

Offline xlarge

• Members
    • glas and keramik
    • Norway
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 05:22:46 PM »
Next test: One of my pics (117 kb)

Offline xlarge

• Members
    • glas and keramik
    • Norway
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 05:25:51 PM »
Both work, but still I don't know what could cause the "spam". Here is the heading and the rest of the the other https and the other picture (118 kb).

1800s old highball (pjolter) crystal glasses and ask for manufacturer + country?

I have 10 very old highball crystal glasses. I have searched internet for a long time and have only found them on two museums and not elsewhere.

https://digitaltmuseum.no/021027665578/glass

but either of them has found manufacturer, origin country or year.

Only one with engrave "A.B." which suppose to be a relative who lived 1803 to 1883 or his son who lived 1847-1893. Both shipowners and timberexporter. Five of the glasses (slightly darker glass) seems to be a little older than the others and have been used more with very minor damage under them. The others is still perfect.

Height 16,5 cm, diameter 8,5 cm, weight 300-330 gram.

I hope for better help here and if possible value/price? From year?

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Hi xlarge, welcome to the board.

The issue with Cleantalk is that it is blocking the links in your original post, so those sites must have been in its list as containing spam / malware of some kind, so they were blocked by CleanTalk to protect the board and members here. 
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
hello xlarge - welcome to the GMB.             Regret I'm unable to help you with identification of your drinking glasses, but hope someone here might recognize them.
The GMB is primarily concerned with providing provenance and attribution for glass  -  origins and makers are what this forum mostly try to help with.

Your request for information also mentions 'value/price', but it seems to be the policy here that people don't discuss values because of the problems that might arise in giving personal opinions about what something is, or isn't worth.        Sorry if that sounds negative, but that's just the way it works here. :)

I assume the surface decoration on these ten glasses is cut, and not moulded, and believe some have been wheel engraved.      In my ignorance, I'm thinking that for the age you are suggesting, this 'waisted' shape seems unusual  -  I just get this feeling that early to middle C19 drinking glasses might have looked more traditional, rather than how these appear.      But as I say I'm rather ignorant of any attribution or dating for your glasses.
Fingers crossed someone here might have the correct answer for you.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Hello and welcome.  Please add a picture of the base of one of these glasses, even if there are no markings.  Thanks Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline xlarge

• Members
    • glas and keramik
    • Norway
Hi Cat,

I enclose 4 pics, one from bottom and the others more nearer. Hope it is what you need to tell something about my glass.

By the way, my real name include "cat".

Offline Paul S.

• Members
thanks for the additional pix xlarge, though it's possible we are still not quite seeing the feature that cat was hoping for, which would be the underneath of the foot of the glass, which might show if there is a depression where the pontil scar has been ground/polished.          It's often not easy to photograph clear glass such that we can see this depression, so you may have to describe, in words, what the underside of your glasses look like.       
There is a difference, usually, in appearance of the underside of the foot of drinking glasses, depending on the age of the glass.             Older glasses often have a depression created by removal of the pontil scar (the depression is then polished)  -  modern glasses which are machine made mostly do not have this feature.           
The wheel engraving looks good quality  -  we assume that the monogram represents the AB that you refer to  -  are you able to tell us what the engraved picture represents  -  might this be a traditional Danish subject, with helmet perhaps - and is it possible that the appearance of the head and helmet might help to suggest a date for the glass?
Very unfortunate that the museum can't provide an identification for you  -  usually they are very helpful.

Your English is very good by the way - 100% better than my Danish :)  -  my apologies if you find some of our replies difficult to understand, but there are some translation links that will help you  -  in fact there was one such link posted here within the past few days by Anne Tique - if you are o.k. without the translation then please ignore my link ……        https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,68826.0.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand