No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Reg. 822997 on uranium vase - Jobling.  (Read 1338 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Reg. 822997 on uranium vase - Jobling.
« on: October 28, 2019, 04:47:04 PM »
Unfortunately, this is missing from the Blue Book  -  possibly another CLASS IV miscreant.       Can't photograph the Registration No. as it's inaccessible at the very bottom internally  -   it reads "REGD" 822997 - which was registered with the Board of Trade somewhere in the second half of August 1937.           I don't recall this design - could possibly be Bagley or Davidson - perhaps someone will recognize the design  -  very deco and shows how simplicity of design can look impressive and why all those geometric outlines continue to appeal still.     
Height is 6 inches (about 150 mm) and glows well  -  perhaps the type of glow might indicate the maker.                thanks for looking :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Reg. 822997 on uranium vase.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 07:27:35 AM »
Not one I've come across before Paul

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 08:08:05 AM »
thanks for looking Christine  -  I think a trip to TNA at Kew is going to be necessary for this one  -  will give it a few more days in case by chance someone might recognize it.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 08:21:01 AM »
Jobling: and quite a rare one.

It's shown in Baker & Crowe, p.48 fig. 10. Described as pattern no. 2633, registered 30/8/1937.

Ref. Baker, J. & Crowe, K. (1985) 'A Collector's Guide to Jobling 1930s Decorative Glass'. Tyne and Wear County Council Museums.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 01:35:41 PM »
hi Steven  -  big thanks for that information  -  just my luck to get a good piece of Jobling after I've parted with my copy of Baker & Crowe.
I may yet visit TNA just to photograph the original factory drawing etc.           Do you know if this was in fact Registered as CLASS IV?

Perhaps the Mods will add Jobling to the subject heading, for future reference  -  thanks.
[Mod: Done as requested]

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Reg. 822997 on uranium vase - Jobling.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 01:02:26 AM »
Hi Paul,

I don't have the book in front of me, but as far as I recall it doesn't state what class the design was registered under. I'll have a check when I get back home for you though.

This vase is not a well known one: it's not featured in the known Jobling catalogues (maybe it was launched too late for inclusion in the 1937 catalogue). There is another related vase with a similar overall shape but decorated with concentric ovals. I've never seen an example of that pattern in the flesh at all.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 03:05:25 AM »
It doesn't give the class no. in the book, I checked it just now for you.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 08:06:33 AM »
thanks both. :)         I've now ordered a replacement copy of Baker & Crowe from a seller on Abe Books  -  it was the only copy showing at the time I looked, and was a good price  -  there's no doubting the appeal of Jobling material  -  though regrettably I seem to see the stuff only rarely now.             I assume the authors researched the B. of T. archives, but possibly didn't consider the CLASS designation to be of importance ……….. and you'd imagine the compilers of the Blue Book didn't view the Registers, which is the usual source for CLASS details, maybe they looked at Representation books only (factory photos).

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 03:30:11 PM »
At TNA today, and have to admit I forgot to look at the Register, so still in the dark as to which CLASS for 822997, but did at least snap the original factory photos as supplied to the BoT in 1937 - as attached.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 04:03:29 PM »
Separate from Jobling's Reg. No. 822997 (factory design 2633), Steven speaks of another vase from the same manufacturer  -  quote from Steven:  ...........              "There is another related vase with a similar overall shape but decorated with concentric ovals. I've never seen an example of that pattern in the flesh at all."

This I assume to be Jobling's design No. 2635 first Registered by the factory on 7th October 1937 and showing at the bottom of page 48 in Baker & Crowe, though it's a poor b. & w. picture, and the four items showing on that page of Baker & Crowe are all described as 'Illustrations of items not shown in the catalogues'.
So, as design 2635 has been mentioned, and since it looks to be a scarce item, I've photographed the original factory drawing at Kew, pix now attached  -  hopefully, someone may have an example to show.
Jobling design 2635  -  first Registered with the BoT on 07.10.1937  -  Registration No. 823704.

If details for this 'other' vase make for some confusion, then perhaps the Mods might care to move this post - with attached pix - and make a separate topic.

I'm intrigued by the comments in Baker & Crowe regarding their list of something like seventeen Jobling designs for which Registration Nos. appear to be unknown.     If anyone is aware why this should be, or if some or all of these items have now been located in the archives, it would be interesting to know.        I've started to plough my way through the Kew Representations data (the pix) in order to photograph the entire list of known Rd. Nos. for Jobling designs  -  perhaps in the course of this some of the unknown might come to light, or maybe not.

Take a look at the upper case Q in the word Quarter on the last picture - quality copperplate if ever I saw it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand