No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano basket  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Terry

• Members
    • Murano birds
    • Australia
Murano basket
« on: April 01, 2020, 07:10:54 AM »
Hi folks, I have been attributing this basket to Salviati. Would anyone care to offer an opinion?
Kind regards,
Terry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Murano basket
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 08:47:44 AM »
In terms of style I would have said English or Bohemian. Nothing quite like that in any of my books on Salviati - those pinched feet just don't seem to fit.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 09:21:54 AM »
Hi Terry, it might be worth looking at Chalet glass, Canada.
https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/230656-angelo-rossi-cranberry-chalet-glass-brid
Mike.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Terry

• Members
    • Murano birds
    • Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 01:15:29 AM »
Thanks John and Mike. The feet were always a worry. Yes I agree that Chalet is most likely.
Kind regards,
Terry

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 08:13:52 AM »
Chalet? Without some sort of evidence I would look elsewhere - an unsubstantiated claim on Collectors Weekly does not fit the bill for me. Chalet may have produced similar for a short period of time but the vast majority of their production was quite different.

http://www.antique67.com/articles.php?article=79

The odds against Chalet are massive given their short production run of this type of material compared to other makers in several countries over a much longer time span.

Offline Terry

• Members
    • Murano birds
    • Australia
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 01:43:21 AM »
Thanks John. You raise a valid point. There are many eBay sellers that advertise these baskets as being Salviati or "Salviati style", and clearly also "Chalet". They appear to be all by the same manufacturer so it would be a service to all glass collectors if we could trace down their origin. Can anyone out there help further? I have emailed Salviati, but so far, understandably, without reply.
Kind regards,
Terry

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 08:27:46 AM »
Cranberry glass has been popular for a long time with many producers, logically many makers would have liked to supply any large market. Another complication is identifying individual makers during the Victorian era, many no longer exist and have been forgotten, with the makers we do have some knowledge of that rarely includes good documentation or catalogues. Another twist is that producers today still make wares that can be very similar, a couple of examples are Horncastle Glass who still make fabulous epergnes and Exmoor Glass producing in cranberry:
http://exmoorglass.co.uk/shop/page/4/

Given these limitations often the best we can do is say it looks English or probably Bohemian. Many people when selling want the certainty of a name, especially if it adds status. Saying all that your basket has some distinctive features that may or may not help. The prunts (they look like berry prunts) are one, at various times that decorative feature has been used in this form in Italy, England and Bohemia. Your basket looks like it has some gold leaf and the exaggerated pinched waist and all the decoration point to a quality bit of production. The style of the pinched feet might be the best pointer, I often think Victorian and Bohemian when I see similar but would not rule out England as the country of origin - someone with a better knowledge of Victorian glass might be able to comment on that.

I think Salviati is a highly unlikely, just not their style. It is so easy to allow wishful thinking to sway yourself in these searches!

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 10:21:16 AM »
I thought it might be from the Chalet Ribbed Heritage Glass range. I think the crimped feet are also a notable feature of many pieces of Chalet glass and don’t seem that uncommon, even in labeled examples. The one on this thread in a different colour is marked on one of the crimped feet although it seems labels were more common: https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=47522.0. I don’t know that a claim to be Chalet Glass would add much status, maybe in Canada.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 11:06:41 AM »
There is a Chalet group on Facebook you could ask

Offline Terry

• Members
    • Murano birds
    • Australia
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 06:18:23 AM »
Thanks everyone for your comments. Some further photos attached. The pontil has been snapped off and still quite sharp. The prunts look like raspberries to my untrained eye. The leaves have been rather crudely snipped (see photo). The height is 23 cm and the width 19 cm. The feet only have longitudinal grooves, not crosshatched.
Does anyone have an email address for a member of the Facebook group (am not a fan of social media)?
Kind regards,
Terry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand