No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cut water jug.  (Read 747 times)

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
Cut water jug.
« on: July 09, 2020, 08:05:50 PM »
Not my normal collecting theme but a very nice item.
I have a few questions about this jug and would welcome any input.
The cutting seems quite good and i think the cuts are acid polished. What sort of date do you think?.
I dont know if the jug is in an English style or an Irish style.
One thing that did surprise me was that it does not seem to be lead crystal (no ring when tapped) and the look of the glass
has a yellowish hue.
The jug stands 8 inches tall.
Thanks,
Tim.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: Cut water jug.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 08:30:50 AM »
Hi, not sure what sort of date you were thinking of so apologies if I’m making assumptions. According to Miller’s Glass Antiques Checklist, the fact that the handle is attached at the bottom and drawn up indicates it post dates 1870. The same book has acid polishing from the beginning of the 20thC.

The tread in this link discusses ‘clear’ glass with a yellow tint:
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=23733.0
and seems to suggest a possible date of 1920s to 1950s. I think I’ve read that older glass, such as from the Georgian period, can have a yellow tint but the other factors would exclude that possibility in your jug.

With regard to English or Irish style, I thought that was something that was relevant in the Georgian/Regency period when there were different styles and some English work transferred to Ireland for tax reasons. I understood that cut glass was made from lead crystal as it is easier to cut. Maybe it doesn’t ring because of the shape or thickness of the glass? Hesitate to say, but it’s not cracked is it? Hope this helps and happy to be corrected by the more knowledgeable.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
Re: Cut water jug.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 07:25:27 PM »
Thanks for the input Ekimp ,it did not cross my mind that the jug might have a crack in it,but it seems to check out ok.
The posting by Adam in your link was interesting concerning the usage of arsenic in the mix.
Tried my uv light on the jug tonight and no reaction at all.
I think i will use it this summer.
Thanks again,
Tim

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand