No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chance Handkerchief/Posy Vases  (Read 9466 times)

Offline K

• Members
Chance Handkerchief/Posy Vases
« on: March 31, 2006, 04:22:48 PM »
Hello am new to this so bear with me!!

have got intrigued by the gingham pattern on my handkerchief vases now. have only got 7 4" ones so it's hard to tell but as u suggested the pattern on the yellow/white has the white stripes running horizontally my red/white one has the same thing as does the brown/cream one. the inconsistency doesn't end there though :( on most of them the 'colour' is the outer transfer except on the green/white one where the green is on the inside! do you think they make all the colours all the different ways or did the transfer maker just decide to do each one a little bit different just to confuse me??? just incase anyone decides to compare i also have an orange/yellow one where the orange is horizontal & yellow is on the outside & a red/orange one where the red is horizontal & orange is on the outside.

While I'm here is my 2 tones of yellow banded 4" something different? not seen one like it?

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 06:16:27 PM »
Hi 'K' and welcome to the GMB :)

I don't actually collect Handkerchief vases, but have dozens lying about the place :roll: so I think they're actually breeding. A lot of mongrels, because leave different coloured ones next to each other and a new colour is born (just like cats) :lol:

However, I have also noticed the inconsistency of patterns and can only assume the designers tried the various combinations and simply decided on the best effect. I actually prefer the green/white myself, but if you notice any that don't conform to the usual pattern I'd love to know.

The only ones I haven't got from the Gingham range is orange/yellow and blue. Blue vases of any pattern always seem ot get the better prices and I think there were less of these made.

But were you aware that the Gingham pattern is dated no earlier than 1977? They also continued after the closure of Chance when Fiesta Glass took over and carried on into the 1980s. The Gingham was produced in 4" and 7" sizes, but not all colours. I also think there may be the odd, very scarce, 5" model around.

If you take a peek at my web site http://www.chanceglass.net you'll see all the varieties listed there, cross-referenced by colour, pattern and size, so if you see one not listed there, do let me know!

Enjoy! :D
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline K

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 11:13:23 AM »
Looks like there's a lot more collecting for me to do yet then! Have got 30 4" ones looks like theres another 30 odd out there. You mention you don't have the orange/yellow gingham, there's a large one ending tomorrow on e-bay (although I suspect the price will go through the roof for that one!!) & a small one with label on monday. Nice to know blue ones are worth more, have got gingham, polka dot & pinstripe all been bought on a tiny budget. (Well if the price goes crazy another one will come along!) I do appear to have one that is not listed on your site tho (jammy smile cos putting it in will mess up all the nice spacing!!) It is a 4" wide band in yellow & yellow. Am off to see if I can get my head round digital camera & will try to post a pic

Offline K

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 11:26:02 AM »

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 11:40:37 AM »
Thanks for the photo K! I'll get this changed (respacing not a problem! :P )

Yes, I tend to look for all the vases on eBay and did spot these. Like you, I'll not pay over the top and can bide my time. But did you see the price fetched by a 7" 'Regular Stripe' last night??!! See 7401885558 :shock:

I think competition for these scarcer ones is growing - probably because of my web site :roll:
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline K

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 01:49:02 PM »
EEEEEK!! :shock:

Would have to mortgage the dog! (probably wouldn't get that much for him tho!) There's another one of those finishing tonight although looks like it might be being personally delivered by royalty (how do some people justify the postage costs?!?!) I think you're right about people looking on your website theres not really a lot of information about  handkerchief vases anywhere. Interesting to people watch on e-bay tho, some people have more money than sense! (I've just got a grumpy husband who doesn't like putting the shelves up!)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 05:16:34 PM »
Have you also noticed the postage cost for the large 7" one is exactly the same as the 4". Hmm, cast-iron box for packaging, perhaps :lol:

Looks like the large one will go out of my reach, but I'll see how the small one progresses.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline K

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 09:21:25 AM »
Excellent buy :D

Nice to see some r still keeping a 'reasonable' price!

have u seen 7402865971? I only paid £2.99 for one of them! Maybe now is a good time to sell eh!

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 08:11:00 PM »
Anne E.B

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 09:01:07 PM »
Grief :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

How odd — looks just like Chance Aqualux. Wow, that's thrown me into turmoil and I need to investigate this! 8)

Quote from: "K"
Maybe now is a good time to sell eh!

I reckon the best time was about a year ago when Miller's first started listing them. I managed to sell a white gingham, with tiny chip, for £22 about then, but they can be picked up for about a tenner now. But the scarcer ones: Pyschedelic, Escher, for example, should always maintain a good price.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand