No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian Large Opalescent Trumpet Vase for ID  (Read 724 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Victorian Large Opalescent Trumpet Vase for ID
« on: August 28, 2021, 07:07:54 AM »
A large Victorian opalescent trumpet vase with a ruby trim for ID please.

Height 17"
Diameter at rim 8.25" and base almost 6" and weighs over 1.7kg.

Too big to photograph for me with a decent background.

Thanks Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: Victorian Large Opalescent Trumpet Vase for ID
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 08:51:31 PM »
If you google “ Charles Kempton “ images, you might come across a pottery gazette publication showing an advertisement of similar pieces from the Nazeing Glass website.  They are of a similar era.
Regards Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 05:00:58 AM »
Thanks Mike for the information very useful.

Roy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 08:16:15 AM »
I have Jeoff. Timberlake's book which covers mainly Nazeing, but includes reproductions of some of the Kempton advertisements for their ornamental glass from the 1880s.          One of these is a page which is a Supplement to the Pottery Gazette for June 1, 1886, and shows in b. & w., a selection of Kempton's Trumpet Vases which apparently ranged from 4.5 inches to 6 feet high, and in a large range of colours, including opalescent etc. etc.           This might be the ad. to which Mike is referring, though possibly not of course.            There are differences between the piece here and the Kempton vases insofar as most of the latter have trumpet shaped mouths, with a few showing an almost jip appearance, though none show the heavy crimping as on Roy's vase  -  however, the main difference is the mounded and ribbed feet of the Kempton vases.                         Whether Kempton's did any Trumpet Vases with coloured rims to the mouths I can't see from the b. & w. ad., though they were certainly granted BoT Registration Nos. for some lamp shades which were heavily crimped on the rims and many of which were formed in what we know as a 'pulled-up (combed) design in contrasting colour -  i.e. the ' Nailsea' style. 

It's an attractive vase Roy - you don't mention wear which IMHO something from the last quarter of the C19 would surely have  -  the piece reminds me of an epergne I once had - and most of those are very beautiful though impracticable.

I hate to be negative, but I'd have thought with very few exceptions it's a non-starter to expect an id on an item like this  -  such pieces of art glass were made in large quantities and in several countries and I'd have assumed the vast majority were unmarked.                        When you bought this piece Roy, was there any description offered?

Ref.     "75 years of diverse Glass-making to the World"  -   A celebration of Nazeing Glass Works 1928 - 2003 and exploration of their Victorian origins.        Geoffrey C Timberlake  2003.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 08:55:22 AM »
Thanks Paul for your help.

Pictures to show the wear and how the vase was attached to the base.

Roy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2021, 09:09:27 AM »
thanks Roy  -  don't know that my words were of any help, though it's useful to see the extent of wear which on the face of it would indicate substantial age and for what it's worth IMHO, I'd suggest unrelated to the Kempton production, and I still think an id is not going to happen.            Beyond saying it's probably Victorian, we may never get anything more specific.      Don't knock it over ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand