No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mary Gregory style vases with filigree jeweled top and base. Any info please?  (Read 706 times)

Offline createdbear

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • England
Hello all,
Can anyone offer some info on this pair of vases. The pics, I think, show quite well what they are. The metal work is rather pretty and the jewels are just paste. Yet again, Google images have come up with nothing...well, 1 pic of a vase that was on etsy but has now gone. I think they may be German or Austrian but am not sure. As always, thank you for any info.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Most, if not all "Mary Gregory" glass was made in Bohemia around 1870-1910. There were several makers so it's difficult to pin one down. The figures on the genuine ones apparently tend to have short arms and oversized heads.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I was under the impression that old MG has chubby children, newer stuff depicts slimer ones.
These kids look suspiciously slim to me, but this glass is not from an age or an area where I have much confidence. ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline createdbear

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • England
Than you Nev and Chopin. I think Bohemian.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
I'm sure these are "right". Although the children are fairly slim their proportions are odd, typical of earlier MG.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand